18 | Cassiella

It's him. It's really him. All this time spent yearning for him to hold me, and here he his.
"Nick?" I touch his face lightly. "It's really you?"

He closes his hand over mine. "It's really me, Cass."

"Oh my, God." I reach over pull him into a soft embrace. "Are you ok? Did they hurt you?"

"I'm fine, just bruised."

"Did they hurt you?" I ask more firmly.

"Cass, I'm fine now."

I ignore him. "I swear, if they hurt you, I'll kill them all."

"Woah...how're you even more badass than when I left you?"

I chuckle but then it turns to a sad smile. "Have you seen my mom?"

Nick clears his throat. "Uh, yeah, Cassie, I have."

"Really?!?!"

"Yeah, but the thing is...she kind of turned herself in."

"Oh, I know."

Nick looks at me with a baffled expression. "Wh-what? How?"

"It's kind of a long story, but the short version is that James told me how my mom told them where our hideout was, and with this letter, my mom left me, I figured the only way she would do that is to protect me."

"Wow. No one should underestimate you. Ever." He smiles and leans closer to me. His lips touch mine, and it's like I've been reborn. The feel of his lips gives me the blessing to live on. They tell me everything is going to be ok. He pulls away with an apologetic look on his face. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't make you think everything is going to be ok." Wow. How would he even know that's what his kisses do to me? It doesn't even matter because I am so in love with him.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

He rolls off of me, and we both rest on our elbows. "Cassie, you shouldn't be here."

"Nick, you don't understand, I have to do this."

"No, you don't. The only thing you need to do is get out of here."

Suddenly, the door unlocks and one of the guards steps forward. "Ms. Clove, it's time for dinner."

"Ok." I stay where I am, expecting to be given a tray of food like in the prisoners in movies.

"Mr. Child requests your presence."

"Ah, and he's the boss, right?" I stand up slowly.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Bullshit."

When I think I hear the guard snicker, I turn to him quickly. "So you guys don't like surgically remove each other's souls? I figured since everyone here was so cold all the time that there had to be some procedure other than the one I'm gonna do."

The guard shakes his head.

"No?" I ask. "Oh, ok." I turn back to look at Nick and roll my eyes at the guard. Nick laughs and gives me an air kiss.

I follow the guard down a long hallway lined with steel doors like the one in Nick's cell. We ascend up a staircase, probably the same one I came down when I was blindfolded, and arrive in the same wide room I had been in before I saw Nick. The guard exits out of the massive room into another long hallway. I dip my head in some of the rooms connected to it. Each one is different with various colors giving it a certain feel. They are all bedrooms, probably fit to match a person's personality.

The guard stops at the end of the hall and opens a locked door. I step inside, and it's beautiful. The bed would be expected to fill the entire room given how big it is, but the room makes it look smaller than it's actual size.