Chapter 3: Getting Acquainted

Several days after your first ever mission, you had made a full recovery.

Again waking up on the couch, you looked around for a moment. Standing up and looking out of the window, it was late morning. You proceeded to walk over to the kitchen, not seeing Eto there.

Guessing she wouldn't mind, you proceeded to brew some coffee. As you drank the coffee, your mind drifted into a semi-conscious state in the silence and calm of the apartment. A moment or so later, Eto walked into the kitchen;

"Good morning." she spoke to you. Breaking out of your trance, you hurrily stuttered back;

"G-good morning." She then proceeded to get herself a mug, and sat down with you. Neither one of you spoke, and only drank coffee. After the caffeine kicked in, your brain got back into working.

"So, any plans?" you asked her.

"Well, I've thought how to improve your performance on the field." Eto replied, "Although I don't have to worry about your technique as it'll improve over time, I think you need more power."

"As in how?" you asked, wondering what she meant.

"You need more physical strength, including your kagune." she replied. You knew that your physical strength you could improve with training, but to increase the power of your kagune was something you hadn't heard about. Although changing its shape could provide it with a little bit of an advantage depending on the situation, you didn't know any means to actually increase its power.

"So, how exactly are we gonna do that?" you asked, curious over how she planned on executing her plan.

"Did you know that by cannibalizing, a ghoul and his/her kagune will become stronger?" she asked you, providing an answer. You had never had to resort to cannibalism, so the whole concept was an unsettling idea. To top it off, your parents had told you that ghoul flesh wasn't exactly tasty. But on the other hand, it was apparently capable of making you stronger. You thought about it for a moment, and came to a conclusion that it was a better option to eat your own kind rather than humans, since that way you could possibly avoid CCG's watching eye.

"Alright, sounds good." you replied, "Better than eating humans."

"Point taken." she replied to your statement, "We'll get started soon enough."

Later on that day, Eto sent you on the simplest of missions; acquiring a mask. She gave you an address to a mask-making shop, and you left almost immediately, hiding your face under a hoodie.

Managing to reach the shop without being noticed, you hastily entered. Looking around, you saw the large assortment of different kinds of masks. It didn't surprise you as much as the presence -or the lack thereof- of the shopkeeper. Trudging around lazily, you didn't see a sign of the mask vendor. However, just as you thought about it, you noticed someone. He had black hair in a distinctive haircut, along with an assortment of piercings and tattoos.