Chapter 7

Columbo drove back to Mary's apartment, he walked in, up the stairs to the ninth floor and when he got there he was, once again, out of breath.
He looked at the bench, then he heard a door open, he turned to see Steven.
Columbo gave a sigh.
"Columbo, what are you doing here?"
Columbo breathed, "I came to talk to you, sir" He breathed, once more.
"You look tired, why don't you come in."
Columbo breathed, "Thanks."
They both walked into his apartment.
Steven walked Columbo to his couch.
"Please, sit."
"Thanks." Columbo sat down and sighed.
"Would you like some water?"
"Uh, no, you don't have to do that."
"Oh, please, that's a lot of stairs to walk up and down. I'll get you a cup of water."
He walked into another room, that gave Columbo a chance to look around, where he was sitting.
He saw a large painting, on a wall, of a lighthouse sitting next to an ocean.
Steven came back with a cup of water and handed it to Columbo.
"Thanks." He took a sip.
"So, what do you need, lieutenant?"
"Uh, well, first, I must say, this is a nice apartment and that, that is a nice painting."
Steven looked behind him and back at Columbo, "Oh, you mean the painting of the lighthouse. Yeah, I found that at a garage sale."
"Wow."
"Yeah, so, what did you want to talk about?"
"Oh, uh, yes, uh, I came to ask you, did you have coffee with Mary?"
"Yes, I did. Why?"
"Just curious, uh, I guess that's all I wanted to ask."
"Are you serios? You came all the way up to the ninth floor just to ask one question?"
"Well, I guess I could of called."
"Yeah, any time you need to talk to me, call me and I'll be right over."
Columbo got up and set his drink on the coffee table in front of the couch.
"Leutenrant, please, just sit down, relax, drink up."
"Mr. Kearney, I believe I should get going. I'll get back to you if I have any questions."
"You'll call me, right?"
"Oh, yes, I'm tired of walking up and down these stairs. I promise I'll call you if there's anything else."
Columbo got to the door.
"Are you sure? You don't have any more questions?"
He turned around, "Yeah, I'm sure. Good bye."
"Bye, lieutenant."
Columbo walked to the door opened it, walked out and then shut it.
Steven shook his head.
The door opened again and Steven looked to see Columbo, "Just one more thing, you were right, I have to ask you, uh, it's personal, uh, did you ever date Mary?"
"Almost, I asked her out on the same day she-" he looked down, upset
"I understand, thank you. Well, bye, Mr. Kearney."
"Bye."

Columbo drove to the L.A. Church of God, they were having a chilly cook out, a lot of people came.
Columbo got out of his car and walked into the crowd of people. He saw people were selling merch and other items.
Then he saw a woman taking the money from people who paid and put it in a metal box. Next to her was Mr. Parker, who was handing people some chilly.
He looked happy and was laughing a little. Columbo got into the line of people waiting on the chilly.
When he finally reached Mr. Parker, the woman looked at Columbo and said, "That will be three dollars."
Columbo nodded and looked in his coat for his wallet. As he did Mr. Parker noticed him.
"Lieutenant Columbo, welcome. How are you?"
Columbo continued to check his coat.
"I'm doing alright, thank you, uh,"
He found his wallet and handed her three dollars.
The woman smiled and said, "Thank you."
"Of course." He put his wallet back.
David took a bowl and grabbed a ladle, filled the bowl up with soup and handed it to Columbo.
"Thank you, you know I love chilly, it's one of my favorite foods to eat."
"That's good, you'll find crackers, salt and pepper on the tables if you'd like some. Also drinks are a dollar and are over on the table next to us."
"Oh, well, thank you, very much."
"Of course."
Columbo looked around and saw Joey, who was sitting with some people. He walked over and saw there was one chair no one was sitting in.
"Uh, is this seat taken?"
"Columbo, what a lovely surprise." said Joey
"No one's sitting there, please take a seat." said Mrs. O'Neal.
Columbo set his soup on the table.
"Oh, well, isn't this something, I mean, really, it's nice to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. O'neal."
"Nice to see you, leautnant." said Mr. O'neal, a man with dark red hair, it was almost brown.
"Listen, I'll be right back, I have to go get a drink, I'll be back."
Columbo went up to the table where Mrs. Parker was handing out drinks, the table was filled with cups full of drinks.
"Mrs. Parker?"
"Ah, Mr. Columbo, would care for a drink?"
"Uh, yes, please, uh, what do you have?"
"We have lemonade, water, and ice tea. What will it be?"
"Uh, I'll take the lemonade, please."
"Sure thing."
She handed him a cup of lemonade.
"Uh, thank you."
"That will be one dollar."
"Uh, yes, uh," he searched his coat for his wallet, again. He got it out and handed her a dollar.
"Thank you."
"Man, you know, everyone here is so kind."
"Well, anyone can be kind, lieutenant, it's how you can show love."
"Yes, well, thank you, very much."
He took his drink, walked back to the table and sat down.
"You know, Mrs. Parker's a very kind woman."
"Yes, she sure is." said Mrs. O'Neal
Columbo grabbed some crackers and crumbled them over his soup.
He grabbed his spoon, which was next to his dish, and started eating.