Chapter 8

"This is some good soup." said Columbo
"Oh, yes, Mrs. Parker made it herself."
said Mrs. O'Neal
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"Uh, Columbo?" Asked Mr. O'Neal
"Yes?"
"How's the case going?"
"So far, I think it's going great. You know, I think we're getting closer to finding-"
Mrs O'Neal looked at Columbo, with sadness
"Well, let's not get into this, uh, does know what this event is about?"
"This meal is for missions," said Joey "You know, traveling to make a difference."
"Are you going to be traveling with them?"
"If we get enough money."
"Where will you go off to, if you get enough money."
"We'll be headed to Uganda, in Africa, to help out." said Mr. O'Neal
"You're going, too?"
"Yes, me, my wife and Joey, will all be going."
"That's terrific, oh, uh, when will this be?"
"Next month." said Mrs. O'Neal
"Oh, well, that's teriffic. Good luck, on your journeys."
"Thank you." she said
"I hope things work out, for your investigation."
"I'm sure it will." Columbo looked at Mrs. O'Neal, she awkwardly looked at her soup, "We'll get there."
Columbo got up and grabbed his soup and water.
"You're leaving?"
"Well, Mrs. Columbo is waiting for me at home, I'm sure she's wondering where I am."
"Oh, how nice, you're married?"
"Yes, six years. Well, good bye." He walked off.

Later, Joey was home, hanging out on the couch, reading a book, when he heard a knock on the door.
He got up and went to answer the door, he was still holding the book. He opened it and there was Columbo.
"Lieutenant?"
"Hey, uh, I hope I'm not bothering you." Columbo looked to see the book he was holding. "Were you reading, sir?"
"Yes, I was reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird', it's a very good book."
"Ah, yes, my wife's read that book, it's a very fascinating book. At least that's what she's said."
"Oh, you've never read it?"
"No, I've been a little to busy to read anything, lately. You know, with the case and all that." He walked up to the couch. "Would you mind if I sit down?"
"No, not at all."
Columbo sat down.
"Would you like me to get you something to drink?"
"Oh, no, no, I'm fine, thank you."
"Well, I'm going to get me something to drink." He set his book down and walked into the kitchen to poor himself some soda into a cup, after he was done, he walked back and smiled, "So, why did you come?"
"I thought you could use some company."
"Oh, so you think I'm lonely?"
"Well, I didn't mean it like that." He pulled out a cigar from his pocket. "Do you mind if I smoked?"
"Not at all."
Columbo searched his pockets for a match. "Uh, do you have a match?"
"Oh, yeah, uh, hang on."
He set his drink down, got up and walked into the kitchen and back with a lighter. He gave Columbo the lighter, who put it close to his cigar, and lit it.
"You have a lighter in your kitchen?"
"My stoves are gas, it's in case one doesn't work." He put it down on the table.
"Ah, I see, so, if you wouldn't mind me asking, uh, it's personal, uh, how much did you love Mary?"
"I could never live without her, she meant everything to me."
"Would you think of marrying anyone else, sir?"
"What? No, Mary is all I had and will always be the love of my life. No other girl could satisfy that."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Did you ever have feelings for Mrs. O'Neal?"
"Why would you ask such a question?"
"Because I talked to her and she said, that at some point you loved her and she loved you, is this true, sir?"
"Alright, fine, yes, it is true, but we're just friends. What are you getting at?"
"Oh, well, I just wanted to confirm this, uh, and by the way, she quoted, that after you two fell in love, you realized she cheated on you for another guy."
"Stop it." Joey mumbled
"It was Mr. O'Neal, now, you got mad and almost choked her to death."
"I said, stop it." He said
"Mr. O'Neal walked in, on time, and stopped you from killing her."
"Will you shut up!" He was breathing hard.
"I'm just stating what Mrs. O'Neal said, I didn't-"
"Shut up!"
Columbo sat back into the couch, smoking his cigar.
Joey sighed, then, sat down.
Columbo blew out some smoke, "Well, maybe I should just leave." He got up and walked up to the door. "I'm terribly sorry."
"Just get out."
Columbo opened the door, he turned back around, to look at Joey, "Oh, uh, sir?"
"What?"
"Uh, your lighter," he walked back to him, "I forgot to give this back to you."
He handed it back to him and started to walk out. He stopped at the door and turned around, "This really is a nice place, sir."
He walked out and shut the door.