Chapter 3

The next day, at the L.A. Church of God, David Parker, a pastor of the church, was talking to his wife, then as Joey almost walked by, David said, "Joey!"
"Uh, yeah?"
"Have you seen Mary?"
"No, I haven't. Why, is something wrong?"
"She's late, she's never late to church. Where could she be?"
"Have you tried calling her?"
"My wife did, not too long ago, she didn't get an answer. She thought she was on her way."
"Well, hopefully she gets here soon."
"Well, she better, church is about to start." said Mrs. Parker
Later, David started preaching on the Attitudes and Actions. Joey was sitting in the front row, of the church, watching and listening, to him preach.
David said, "But, then, your best buddy, brought into work, you know his wife's homemade cinnamon rolls, with extra cream cheese icing, and I mean these cinnamon rolls aren't just some common rolls, you buy at the store, I'm talking about a cinnamon roll as big as your head.
Columbo walked in, an usher looked at him.
"Oh, uh, sorry," whispered Columbo, as he sat down in the back row. He looked at the preacher and watched.
" 'So, I'm going to eat it and it will be alright.'
Next thing you know, what transpires here, we are five days later, you've ate sweets and sugars, five days in a row, you went off to drink a diet coke and you got back on regular coke, and you wonder why it's scale is screaming at you, when you step on it.
Folks, what I came by to tell you is that in mans eyes, to tell you what is right and wrong, every time we're going to make the wrong decision.
But I want to tell you, this morning,"
He picked up the bible off of the pulpit, "That God gave us this word and the word says that it's sharper than any two edged sword."
He put it down.
"It comes by to cut a little bit of the wrong out of you, every time you allow it to do so, every time you guard yourself with the word what will then become a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my pathway.
This word will show me the pathway, in which, I need to be going. Therefore, when your challeged, don't judge yourself in the standards of this world, but instead you need to judge yourself against the very word of God and say, 'Help, me Lord, how am I lining up with you and the things of you.' Because it's ultimately God who would have the equation, you ought to give Him a hand of praise, this morning."
They all clapped. Columbo took out a cigar, a woman, sitting next to him, stopped him, as the applause continued.
"What, I can't smoke, here?"
She shook her head.
He put the cigar back into his coat, as the applause died down.
"There were three matters Jesus was dealing with, on the Surman of the Mount, murder, and eye for an eye, and loving your neighbor and hating your enemy.
See, the key about these three things is this, is that sometimes we can be quick to think about the actions, you know what I'm saying? The things we do.
But, you know what I believe the things, Jesus taught on the mountain side, He wasn't concerned about the actions, than what we were thinking. You see, sometime you and I are quick to judge other people, because the things they do. But, yet here's the reality of what Jesus did, He began to say, 'I'm here to tell you folks, it's not always so much about what you do, but really the problem begins by the things that you think and the attitude that you have..."
After church was over the pastor was shaking hands and hugging people.
Joey walked up to him and David said, "Where is she?"
"I still don't know."
"I can't believe she missed church."
Columbo walked up behind Joey,
"Uh, excuse me, sir, Pastor Parker?"
"Oh, hey, I saw you come in, in the middle of my sermon."
"Uh, yes, sir, uh-"
"Well, we're happy to have you, here, today."
"Thank you, sir, uh, it was a wonderful sermon, sir, I mean I really liked it, sir, and that's coming from someone who isn't religious. Uh, can I speak with you and your wife for a moment, please? It will just take a sec."
"Well, I guess everyone left, sure, would you like to talk in the sanctuary?"
"Uh, sure."
"Honey?"
"Yeah?"
"Julie, could you come here, for a second."
She walked over.
"Yes, what is it?"
"This man would like to talk with us, in the sanctuary."
"Why?"
"It's about your daughter, ma'am, please, come with me.
They walked in, it was dark, so, David switched on the lights. When he turned around, Columbo showed his badge, then, put it back into his coat.
"Oh, you're form the police department."
"Yes, sir, uh, lieutenant Columbo, I'm with the L.A.P.D., now, we know about your daughter, sir."
"Yes, you just said that, is she O.K.?"
"Uh, unfortunately, no, I'm terribly sorry, sir, uh, ma'am, uh, she's, uh, dead."
Julie started to cry, "No, no, it's not true." She wrapped her arms around her husband.
"Unfortunately, it is true. I'm sorry."
Her crying got louder.
David sighed, "Is she really dead?"
"Yes, sir."
"How?"
"Uh, well, we don't know, yet, but we're going to find out."
She continued to cry.
Her daughter came in, she walked up to them, "Why are you crying, mommy?"