ten: she's your fiancé, not a freak

LOOKING BACK OVER the past two years, Matthew was not able to recount the number of times he'd failed Arianna. There were numerous occasions where he wanted to show her the world, just how much she meant to him - something that words alone could not do. But because he was his usual awkward and clumsy self, he fell short of those dreams almost every time.

"So... you're actually going to do this?"

Matthew turned to Jax with a glare before his attention returned to the ring case. Against the fluorescent lights, the diamond sparkled and shimmered. Never before had jewelry been of any interest to him, but this wasn't just jewelry. This was something that Arianna would hopefully wear for the rest of her life. And now standing there, he could feel a headache coming on, the responsibility of picking out the perfect ring overwhelming.

Taking an unwary step back, Matthew combed his hand through his hair, frustration eating him whole. "I don't know if I can do this. I don't know what to pick."

"Great, I'm starving. Can we go now?"

Tommy fisted Jax in the gut, successfully quieting his friend. "I know it can seem scary now, but just think of how great you'll feel after you've proposed to her."

Horror washed over Matthew at the thought of actually proposing to her. The thought alone made him topple as he quickly latched onto the counter. "I-I... I actually have to... to give her the ring, don't I?"

"No, no... you gag her and then force the ring onto her finger. It's just easier for everyone that way. What?" He asked irritably when Rafael and Tommy gave him a pointed look. "I'm hungry."

Rafael approached Matthew as Tommy led a petulant Jax out of the store. He was silently grateful; as if this day wasn't nerve-wracking enough, Jax's sarcasm was in no way helpful.

"Look, Matthew. You love Arianna, right?"

"More than life itself."

"And she loves you?"

"Yes,"