chapter eleven

"Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favourite song"
- Ed Sheeran
_________________________

AS ADLEY and Eli got off the train, Eli made sure his hand never left hers. His brother and Kyra followed closely behind, most likely eyeing them and rolling their eyes. But neither of them cared.

They ignored the fact that it was weird they were on the exact same train. At the exact same time. Going to the exact same place. Whether it was planned purposely in secret or not, the two of them didn't care.

Slowing down, Eli turned to his brother. "Remind me again how the hell we're getting to this place, Alex?" He raised his eyebrow as he walked backwards, still never letting go of a silent Adley's hand.

"Dunno, really. It's quite far to walk. Any ideas Kyra?" Alex responded.
"Well, you got two options. Bus or taxi?" Kyra said.
"Lee? What do you want to do?" Eli asked her, turning back around.
"Hm?"

It was clear Adley hadn't been paying attention. She was in a complete world of her own, and the only thing that brought her back was hearing her name. She just walked, holding onto Eli's hand as tight as she could. Almost as if she'd lose him again if she let go.

"Do you want to go in a taxi or a bus, Lee?" Eli repeated.
"Um, I'd rather walk." She said sheepishly, still ceasing to look at anyone.
"It's too far. It'll take ages."
"I'm okay with that." Adley finally looked up at Eli, giving him a small smile.

Eli hesitated, not sure what to say. He looked back to Kyra for assistance, wondering what he was supposed to do. Kyra got his hint and pulled Adley to the side.

"Ads, can you come here a sec?" Kyra asked as she walked to the side. Adley followed, still quiet. "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but I've not really got much of a choice. Please don't hate me."

Adley looked confused, raising her eyebrows. "You realise saying that just makes it worse, right?" She said. Sighing, Kyra took in a deep breath, preparing herself for the worst.

"Yesterday, when Theo was talking to me... he told me something. And I really don't want you to hate him, but just know that he had your best interest in mind. He told me that-" Kyra was cut off by Adley, who already knew what she was going to say.

"PTSD. That fucking twat." Adley crossed her arms as she shook her head and walked away. Getting her phone out, she found her brother's contact and rang him. Theo picked up within seconds, and Adley assumed it was because he was worried.

"Hel-" Theo began. He didn't even get the chance to finish his word before Adley cut him off.

"Theo, you're such a fucking bastard. Why would you tell her without asking me?" Her anger was clear, and it took Theo a moment to respond. Sighing, he started to talk.

"What was I supposed to say? 'Hey, mind if I tell your best friend you have PTSD? Great, thanks!' Adley, I did it for your own sake. And guess what? You had a fucking panic attack on the train. She needed to know. I did it for your own safety, Ad. Be angry all you want, but it was for your benefit." Pausing to take a breath, Theo waited for his sister to respond. "I love you, okay? That's why I told her."

Adley took a deep breath, unsure of what she was supposed to say. She didn't know whether she should stay angry or forgive him. Eventually, after what seemed like hours, she decided on five simple words. "I love you too, Theo." And hung up. Turning back around, she noticed all three sets of eyes were fixed on her.