Chapter 20.

It took both Cambryn and Reign to make it back to Tearlach's keep. He had an uneasy feeling on regarding Bella's safety and well-being. 

     "Are we almost there?" 

He shouted to Reign, who was riding ahead of him, but no comment made it back to him, for the wind was too strong. Finally, the McKenzie Keep's high turrets came into view from the thick fog, and Cambryn breathed a sigh of relief, as he was just a few hoofbeats away from his love. When their horses paraded into the bailey, Cambryn quickly got off his horse and ran the rest of the way into the great hall. Suddenly he heard a scream, which sounded like Bella. Cambryn took his sword out of its scabbard and brushed past the doors that led to the inner hall. He just came into the room only to see, Tearlach thrusting his sword through an unknown man's chest. The fear that he saw on Bella's face as she clutched tightly to Maggie, made him feel like running to her side and embracing her. He was about to do that but soon realized that Tearlach beat him to it.

He silently made his way to Bella's side. He saw the look on Tearlach's face when they both exchanged knowing glances, seeing him nod his head, Tearlach relinquished his hold on his daughter and granddaughter and motioned for Cambryn to take his place in embracing them.

Bella could easily tell the difference, that someone else was holding on to her, and when she looked up at his face, she gasped with shock and gave him a smile of love. 

    "Oh. Cambryn..., you're here. Oh, my darling, I am so glad that you are here with me." 

She said as she burst into tears. Their happy reunion was interrupted by a moan that came from Kollon. She immediately pushed herself away from him and called for her father to hold onto Maggie while she went over to see if she could heal her son.

         "Cambryn, please help me in carrying Kollon up the stairs and to the nursery, I must see to his injury!" 

Cambryn gathered little Kollon into his arms and followed Bella up the stairs and towards the nursery. He then gently laid him on a bed and watched her get to work. However, he could see, that even though he knew that she was an amazing healer, her worries for Kollon was compromising her in making him feel better. He noticed that while they stood within the nursery, that Reign was standing in its threshold. Bending over her, Cambryn touched her shoulder and gathered her into his arms, and silently motioned for Reign to come into the room and take over for Bella.

       "Be at ease, my love. You're too anxious to care for him at this moment, let Reign give it a try." 

He said as he brushed away her tears and kissed her on the lips. Bella nodded and sighed. She then turned to Reign and giving her a smile she let her take over. But just she and Cambryn were about to leave the room, she turned back around and spoke to her, her last request.

    "Please let me know when he awakens. I am tired. This has been a most trying day." Then turning back to Cambryn, she held up her hands and caressed his face, and smiled up at him with her eyes.

      " Cambryn my love, when can we put this all behind us and get married?" 

She said as she looked up at him. Cambryn grinned and laughed softly. 

    "Soon my love. Soon."