Chapter 2: Understand

Eight year later....

Enjolras was engaged in one of his speeches. Everyone in the Café listened intently. For eight years, they have been planning their revolution. The Chief was interrupted by Courfeyrac. "General Lamarque is ill!"

The Café fell silent. Joly, a medical student, walked in soon after. "They say his illness will most likely outcome in his death. The doctors estimate his death date will be in June, unless he miraculously survives." Éponine turned to Marius. He didn't even look like he was afraid that this revolution may end with his death. Marius smiled at Éponine and her heart almost leaped from her chest.

"The General Lamarque is all the people have!" Gavroche said.

"And the only one who could make a difference." Éponine muttered. She said it louder than she anticipated and soon all of her friends had their eyes on her.

"What do you mean, Eppy?" Enjolras asked. He used the nickname just to make her uncomfortable. Just to piss her off. Éponine rolled her eyes and stood up. Enjolras was standing on a table. When he first starting doing it, Éponine told him it was stupid and useless, where as Enjolras argued that it grabbed people's attention and was more dramatic.

"I mean, that he was the only person who had power. He defended the people, the poor. He tried to help. He is a powerful government figure." Éponine held out her hand, silencing Enjolras before he could argue. "And what are we? A bunch of school boys and two gamins. Sorry to break it to you, Enjy, but no one here has enough power to actually do any damage to the government. If we are lucky, we will inspire people to rebel and give the King and nobles a reign of terror."

"'Ponnie! Why 're you bein so negative?" Gavroche asked his older sister after a long silence. Éponine and Enjolras kind of just glared at one another during the silence. She sighed at her younger brother.

"I'm trying to help." She said, crossing her arms. "And If the best we can do is inspire people to fight, than you guys better learn on how to inspire people like me-"

"People like you? God, this will be harder than anticipated!" Combeferre said, faking a face of horror. Les Amis erupted into laughter. A lot of meetings usually ended that way, much to Enjolras's dismay. He hopped off the table. He grabbed the bottle of wine from Grantaire and took a swing, cringing at the taste.

"Hey, Hey, Marble Man. Slow down there buddy. What made you actually consume alcohol?" Grantaire asked. He didn't drink a lot that day, which was surprising. His words barley slurred. Barley.

"Probably me." Éponine said, smirking as she stood next to Enjolras. He rolled his eyes and shoved her gently. Éponine returned the favor by punching his arm. "You need my help, admit it!" Éponine urged Enjolras to admit how important she was. Maybe it would prove to Marius that she important too. Maybe show him that he loved her!

"Eppy, you are the one who needs help. Drooling over Pontmercy ever second of the day?" Enjolras scoffed. "You are my friend, and I don't want to see you getting hurt." It hurt Enjolras to say that Éponine was just his friend. But she was just his friend. And nothing more.

Éponine rolled her eyes. "I'll be fine. Now admit that you need my help."

"And what would I need your help for?"

"For understanding. Gav is going to your place tonight, right?" Enjolras knew that Éponine would end up staying over. She stayed over at his place ever since he got his own apartment. "I can help you understand the lives these people live. Help you convince them to join you. It might actually give you a chance for a successful rebellion." Grantaire was passed out by then. He drank more while the two friends argued and got tired of hearing it. Enjolras sighed.

"Fine." Éponine clapped her hands. Enjolras turned to go talk to Combeferre but Éponine grabbed his arm. His heart thundered loudly.

"And thanks. For worrying about me. But I know Marius loves me. He loves me as a friend. He can love me as a lover too." Éponine's eyes were full of hope. She believed that Enjolras didn't understand when Éponine didn't understand either. She doesn't understand that Marius doesn't love her like a lover. She doesn't understand the passion and fire that she unlocks within Enjolras. She doesn't understand.