Chapter 10: Prophecy

It didn't take me long to find Maya. She was doing ballet on the porch of the Apollo Cabin.

"Hey." I said. She grinned at me. She stopped dancing and jogged over to me.

"Hey. What do you think of camp?" She asked.

"I think it's really cool! What about you?"

"Awesome! Let's go to the arena. Maybe we could have a sword fight." She suggested.

"Yeah. I just need to go to my cabin." I said. Maya nodded and followed me to my cabin. I opened the door and my jaw dropped. Nico had Percy in a choke hold against the wall. Percy was gasping for breath while Nico glared at him. I stormed into the cabin. Maya stood in the doorway.

"I left for five minutes! What the Hades happened?" I shouted. Nico's grip around Percy's neck tightened. I raced over to Nico.

"Let. Him. Go." I said to Nico. Percy was turning a nasty shade of purple. In the next ten seconds, Nico was on the ground twitching. I had accidentally electrocuted him. I turned to the doorway. Maya was gone. Nico was starting to stir. Percy had returned to his normal colour.

"Natalya." I turned to see Chiron standing in the doorway with a panicked Maya.

"Yes Chiron." I replied to the centaur. His face was grim.

"You need to see the oracle."

Chiron took me to the Big House.

"Go upstairs into the attic. Ask the oracle what your destiny is. Then we can talk about the prophecy you are given." He explained. I nodded and walked up the stairs to the attic. I will admit that I was nervous.

I got up to the attic, finding myself to be looking at a really old mummy.

"I am the spirit if Delphi, speaker of Apollo's prophecies. Approach seeker, and ask." She said in a raspy voice.

"What is my destiny?" I asked.

"Three shall go east to find the box

And beat the man that is as strong as an ox

But the daughter of two has a price to pay

If on the earth she wants to stay."

I went downstairs to see Chiron. He looked up and smiled. I sat down in one of the chairs and repeated the prophecy to Chiron.

"A price to pay? What would that mean?" I asked Chiron. He shrugged.

"The box? Pandora's box perhaps?" I asked.

"It's possible." Chiron agreed. "But you have to choose two people to go with you."

The horn for dinner sounded.

"Think about it over dinner. I'll talk to you in the morning."

I ran to the dining pavilion and stood behind Nico in the Hades line. Percy was next to us.

"You look pale. What happened?" Percy asked, sounding quite worried.

"Oh, nothing. I've just met the oracle." I replied.