15 - the pain

his mother must have seen how bad he was feeling because as soon as she opened the door she immediately pulled jeongguk into her arms and ushered him inside.

"jeonggukie what happened?"

"mom..."

jeongguk broke down in front of her, showed her his wrist and told him what he had done, what had happened to taehyung after that and how there hadn't been even one happy day in his life since he had gotten that flatline on his skin.

"mom, i don't know what to do, i don't-"

his voice broke halfway and his mother's arms pulled him closer for a hug, one of her hands starting to stroke his hair just like she used to do when he had been a child.

"oh, jeonggukie... i'm so sorry. this is your father and my fault. we should have handled our separation better, we shouldn't have involved you at all."

jeongguk stayed in his mother's arms and he stayed quiet, not wanting to argue because this was his fault, he couldn't push this onto anyone else. he had no right to.

"jeongguk-ah, listen to me. bonds are just things to give us a push into the right direction. what we make out of it lies with us. your father and i didn't put enough effort into it. we thought that our bond would do everything for us. that's why we didn't work out. not because soulmates aren't real. do you really know what happened when you broke the bond?"

jeongguk leaned back to look at his mother and her words were like dimmed echoes of what a certain boy had told him once upon a time in a tattoo studio.

"you share a soul with your mate and while it sounds easy to just break it, it's actually a really devastating thing to do. especially for your mate. you made the decision and the tattoo was directly erased off of your skin, but for your mate it was like a part of their body was ripped away."

jeongguk's eyes widened and it shouldn't be such a surprise, he had seen what taehyung had become, but to hear it so straightforward, from his mother no less, was like a slap to the face.

"but he did it, he said it's okay, he-he said it was basically mutual, he-"

"honey, he lied. for you."

jeongguk stood up and kicked the living room table, ignoring the pain in his foot, welcoming it rather.

"but why?!" his mother looked at him in pity and it killed him, it hurt so much. he knew the answer already.

"... because he is my soulmate."