3 - the bitter realisation

taehyung stood up to get everything ready to start their first session.

he told jeongguk to get comfortable and already free the body part where the tattoo was for the procedure.

he decided to lie on his back and just hope it would stay comfortable enough. he would very likely be allowed to move if he asked taehyung.

the other returned with several utensils and he rolled over with his chair towards jeongguk with antiseptic tissues, his hands already covered in gloves.

"okay, lemme see it then," he said, read to start working and jeongguk turned his left arm so the tattoo was facing taehyung now.

the tattooist first leaned down ready to work, when he suddenly froze, face hovering over jeongguk's wrist.

the antiseptic fell out of his hand and he instead reached out to trace the soulbond tattoo.

the moment taehyung's fingers touched it, a chill ran down jeongguk's spine and he looked up into taehyung's face who was still staring in shock.

"is everything o-"

"it's me... i'm your soulmate."

jeongguk stared up at taehyung because what the fuck? the other suddenly turned his own left arm and just at the same spot there was a heartbeat line in a vivid red.

jeongguk looked down to his own again, and the tattoo that had been gray just seconds ago, was now bright red, too.

when you meet your soulmate, when you touch for the first time, the soulbond will turn bright red.

taehyung was his soulmate.

the person he had paid to break off the soulbond was his very own soulmate. the one and only.

jeongguk almost started laughing.

it's not like it changed anything.

"i... wow, what are the chances? maybe you want to take your time with this and maybe we-"

"no, i still don't want it... i'm sorry, it's nothing personal. i just don't believe in this and i'm not really interested in soulmates."

taehyung stared at him with wide eyes, jeongguk's words apparently not what he had expected (or maybe hoped for) and he looked down to his own arm where jeongguk's ekg line was printed.

"you... don't even want to try?"

"no... i'm sorry," jeongguk found it hard to look at taehyung and instead focused on the pale linoleum floor of the room.

"i mean, you don't have to do it, i can maybe arrange to go somewhere else and-"

"no... i mean... who else then me, right? it's almost mutual then."

taehyung let out a husky laugh and there was a smile on his face, but jeongguk wondered if it really was as genuine as before.

"are you sure? you said this would put you in pain and-"

"it's okay, i can take it." taehyung turned around to get new antiseptic tissues (the ones from before now useless that it touched the ground) and immediately sat down and started cleaning jeongguk's wrist.