1 - the reason

his fingers traced the path of the ekg lines on the inner side of his left wrist and yet again he couldn't feel anything but the subtle tickling feeling his fingertips left behind.

soulmates were always so romanticized in all those stories that surrounded them all their lives.

you were supposed to be excited about the concept of a person that was just born for you, how your souls were literally connected on a different level.

jeongguk hardly saw any of that.

his parents had been soulmates and yet he grew up with them fighting and separating, while continuing to fight over him.

he saw what it did to both of them. and he was supposed to believe that the two of them were destined to be together?

the stories never talked about the tragedies. the soulmates that never met, that met and still couldn't be together, or got together and ended catastrophically.

jeongguk was twelve when his parents got their divorce. he was fourteen when he knew he never ever wanted to be with his own soulmate. and he was sixteen when he found out you could break off your bond. a painful and expensive procedure. so he had started saving.

when he was twenty-three he finally made the appointment at the tattoo studio to remove his soulmate tattoo.

to turn the alive heartbeat line into a never moving flat line. his research provided him with everything he needed to know and the tattoo artists would very likely talk to him, too.

jeongguk knew it was going to hurt. it would take several sessions since it's a delicate procedure and it was irreversible. also really expensive. but jeongguk had been waiting for this for almost ten years, so he was ready.