Chapter Six

“Ummm… So we are in a band together, One Direction. And when we travel, sometimes the boys get sick, hurt, or scared or something. I’m not the oldest, Louis is, but he doesn’t do so well during this stuff sometimes. Like now, he hasn’t talked to anyone since Zayn got home yesterday.

“When someone gets sick, one of us always stays home and looks after them. I am cool with dealing with people throwing up and the others, except Niall, don’t. We never see our parents anymore and we are still pretty young. We always feel like brothers, except I have been the one making sure everything was in order and everyone was safe and healthy.

“Zayn, well, you know, wasn’t feeling well last night. He was up at 2:45, and I went up to see him. I said some things and he fell asleep. This morning, giving him his shot, I said some more things. He hates shots, as you have probably figured out. I guess I am just a calming thing to them. That is why I am Daddy Direction.”

The doctor stared at him before saying, “I get it! You are just what Zayn needs. We have to give him 6 shots in about a minute and I assume he will be freaking out, am I right?”

“Yes sir, that is correct.”

“So if you come in and do whatever you did this morning to him, and keep him calm so we can give him the shots, it might just work out. I assume all the boys feel like you’re their ‘daddy’ correct?”

“Yes, probably.”

“So if you can get all of them to chip in and help Zayn recover, we would be very happy.”

“Yes sir, they would do that anyway. I told you, we are like brothers. We all love each other.”

“Great. So can you come in and get all of the boys to exit for a minute?”

“Sure doctor.”

“Thank you Liam.”

They went in and Liam got Harry, Louis, and Niall to leave. They all went to the children’s part of the hospital with the nurses, who thought it would be good for the children if the boys went to go see them. They agreed and left.

“Zayn, Liam here is going to stay with you right now, Ok?”

Zayn nodded his head fast.

“Ok. We have to give you 6 shots. Liam is going to help, don’t worry.”

The doctors got the shots ready and Liam started talking. “Stay still Z. It will only hurt for a tiny bit, then it will be over and you will be able to sing again soon. Does that sound good?” The doctors started on the second one. “Focus on my voice buddy. You’re going to be Ok. Doing a great job.” Third one. “Ok, Z, we are halfway there! You are amazing! Don’t even worry ‘cause I’m right here. You got this babe.” Fourth. “Ok Z! Fourth one! That’s it! Yeah, take my hand. You’ll be fine. Almost there.” Fifth shot. “That’s right Z, that’s it! Almost done! Come on! Last one next!” Sixth. “Last one. Hang in there. Last one then you will be Ok. I got you buddy. Done! We are done!” Liam hugged him and held him while the doctors cleaned up the stuff.

“Thank you so much Mr. Payne. You are so good at that. Thank you a million.”

“Yeah, no problem. I’m glad I could help. When will I see him next?”

“After the surgery. If you are in the 2nd floor waiting room by 12:30, we will call you in when he is ready for visitors.”

“Ok thank you. Can you point me to the children’s wing?”

After saying goodbye to Zayn and promising to come back soon, Liam went to join the others with the children.