Muscle (Part 1)

Summary: Canon AU. Nathanael and Marinette have been dating for six months, and Nathanael can't help but notice how much more fit Marinette is, and can't help but feel insecure. And so, he tries to build muscle in order to prove that he is worthy of Marinette. It causes some tension and a reveal.

-----------------------------------

Dating Marinette was like a dream for Nathanael. Something he never thought would happen.

The orange haired teen has liked the blunette ever since he first saw her in elementary school. Of course, being shy and an introvert had him terrified of ever speaking to her directly, so he merely admired her from afar. Being alone most of the time allowed him to focus a lot more on his art.

Over the years, he had been fortunate enough to have some classes with Marinette. Her smile alone could make his day a lot brighter. And he was capable of looking after her from afar.

Like that one time a classmate made her cry in fifth grade, and Nathanael had left a little gift on her desk. A drawing of a hamster and some of her favorite candy.

It wasn't much, but it had made Marinette smile.

That was what Nathanael strived to keep alive.

Ever since they entered Françoise Dupont High School, and Adrien was introduced to the class, and the new heroes of Paris appeared, Marinette seemed... distracted.

Of course he knew about her obvious crush on Adrien, at the time, which stung.

A lot.

He was nothing compared to Adrien.

But that wasn't the only thing he had  noticed.

Marinette was always very kind, and bubbly, energetic. Yet he was aware that she could turn very serious in an instant. Something she never did before.

Anytime a new villain would appear in school, she would disappear very quickly. As would Adrien, he mused.

After the incident in which he was akumatized, she was one of the few people to give a present to him. It made him fall for her even more.

But he continued to look from afar. He wasn't what she deserved, she deserved much better.

Villain after villain would appear, and he continued to notice that she seemed to get more and more stressed. More tired. More weary.

And she snapped, the day she confessed to Adrien....and was rejected.

She didn't go to school for a few days. Alya, being the loyal best friend, would take the schoolwork and homework to Marinette. Adrien looked guilty whenever Nathanael looked at him.

Nathanael would only gaze at Marinette's empty seat, before ultimately deciding to visit Marinette.

Why? He was concerned.

It was rather easy talking to her parents, about how he just wanted to check up on her. Being the concerned parents, they allowed him up.

It was a rather awkward conversation. 

Nathanael never really talked to Marinette directly, just an occasional greeting or question. Yet, Marinette seemed grateful for his company. He was someone who wasn't going to push her to return to school, as, to her, he was just a classmate(who has a crush on her). If anything, he supported her taking her time in composing herself.

He just talked to her about random subjects, eventually getting to know each other's drawing styles.

After three hours of spending time with her, he left, as it was getting late.

He would never forget her words to him as he left.

"Thank you, Nathanael." It sounded so genuine, so grateful. It actually made his heart ache.

Marinette returned to school the next day, quieter than usual. Sitting in the back of the class, he noticed that she avoided looking at Adrien.

They didn't talk to each other for a few days.

Nathanael just kept an eye out for Marinette.

A week after Marinette returned to school, he noticed Adrien apprroach the blunette after classes were done. Alya had already left.

He watched for a few seconds, before noticing that Marinette was becoming more and more uncomfortable. He quickly intervened, 'reminding' Marinette that they agreed to go eat some food together.

Marinette quickly caught on and they left quickly.

Nathanael was going to just drop off Marinette at her home, before the blunette suggested going to get some food for real.

They ended up eating at a little cafe. Nathanael introduced tea to Marinette, after the blunette said she never tried tea before.

From then on, they began to get closer.

They exhanged phone numbers, and an occasional text eventually turned to full text conversations.

The occasional greeting in school eventually led to them spending time during lunch.

They kept spending time together, until the day they decided to start dating.

...

...

...

...

...

Well, the day Marinette asked Nathanael out.

After six months of dating, Nathanael's insecurities begin to make an appearance.
-------------------------
This part is just a bunch of background info for the next part.

-Rinku

P.S.- From now on, in the description of this book of one shots, I will be posting info on the oneshot I will be working on. So keep an eye out!