The Four: Kendra

Kendra:

I stared up at my bedroom ceiling. It still had that glossy shine and wretched smell from when I had painted it a little over a week ago. It was now blue, bright blue, just like the ocean I so desperately want to visit. I’m that kid that sits awkwardly in her desk on the first day of school while everyone else talks about their glorious vacation to Switzerland or the Bahamas. I have never gone to either of those places; in fact I’ve never even left the state of Nevada.

“You know we cannot afford that, Kendra” Is always the response I get whenever ask my mom and step-dad if we can go someplace new and exciting. They are right though, we can’t afford to go on a trip. We can’t really afford to do anything.

And so here I am, Kendra Jones, staring at the ceiling of my ocean blue bedroom. I have three little brother screaming and yelling as they tackle each other outside my bedroom door, a tired mother making some Ramen noodles for lunch, and a step-father working down the street at Ruby Tuesdays. Ah… The glamorous life.

“Kenny! Me, Willy, and Ethan got somethin’ we wanna show you!” yelled my seven year old brother, Jeff. I heard a few snickers after he spoke and smiled.

“Uhh, maybe later guys,” I yelled back, still grinning. They probably wanted to bombard me with their nerf guns or something. It was better to stay behind a locked door. I pulled at a loose string on my tank top as the boys started banging on my door with their plastic toys.

“Come on!” Jeff whined, “We just want to show you somethin’! It’ll be cool, I promise!” The three boys continued beating on my door.

“Guys! You’re gonna break the door! Jeez!” I tried saying to make them stop. Of course it didn’t work. The banging continued.

“Alright, alight! I’m coming! Calm down!” I chuckled to myself. The racket they were making died down. They started to whisper in giggly voices. Grabbing a pillow to use as a shield, I crept to the door. I removed the lock and slowly twisted the door handle. I flung the door open and ducked in cover. Sure enough a shower of foam bullet cascaded upon me. I played along for a bit, screaming and begging for mercy.

At long last, the firing stopped, leaving the boys holding their stomachs and bellowing in laughter. I laughed with them, ruffling their matching messes of brown curls.

“What are you kids all laughing about?” My mom yelled from down stairs, chuckling. She had a strong southern drawl from being born and raised in Texas. She moved to Nevada after marrying my dad. My real dad. He died when I was seven.

“Nothin’ Mama,” The boys yelled in unison. They gave me a mischievous smile, that I returned. All three of them had a few teeth missing .

“Well okay then. Can you tell Kendra to come help us unload some groceries?” After saying this, she walked away, her footsteps making the floors of the old house creak.  The triplets looked up at me expectantly and I sighed. I pushed myself up and quickly ran down the stairs.

My mom and step dad stood in the small kitchen, placing various food items into the fridge and pantry. Ramen noodles sat cooling off in a pot on the stove.

“Hey Ted!” I greeted my step father and grabbed a box of Fruit Loops from the grocery bag, placing it on the top shelf of the pantry. I like my step father. I mean he’s nice and shows my mother and me respect. He drives me to school every morning and picks me up after swim practice sometimes.  I can’t really say anything bad about him, other than that he has a ridiculous obsession with jazz music. I just find it annoying.

“Hello there Kenny,” Ted replied cheerfully, “How was your day today?” He folded up and empty Tops bag and shoved it under the sink where we keep our reusable grocery bags.

“Eh, same old, same old. Boring,” I shrugged my shoulders. It was the second week of summer vacation. What had I done? Absolutely nothing.

“Why don’t you call up one of your friends? You guys could go to the mall or something,” Mom offered kindly. My shoulders slumped.

“They’re all out of town,” I grabbed a few frozen meals, cramming them into the freezer as I said this. It seemed to me like I was the only one of my friends that was home.

“Everyone? Even Leah?” Ted asked.

“Yup. Her and her cousins are backpacking in the Rockies,” I almost laughed at this, knowing my best friend, Leah, hates camping. She complained about it to me on the phone for an hour straight.

“What about Marie?”

“Visiting family in New York.”

“Hmm,” Ted shrugged and put away the last of the groceries, “How ‘bout Evelyn? Is she home?”I hadn’t even considered my old lab partner. Maybe she was, she hadn’t mentioned having any plans.

“I don’t know, I’ll give her a call,” I grinned and walked out of the kitchen. I flipped open my cell phone and dashed up the stairs to my room. I dialed Evelyn’s number and plopped down on my bed. After a few moments I heard shuffling on the other line.

“Hello?”

“Hey Ev, its Kendra.”

“Kenny! How are you?” Evelyn squealed on the other line.

“I’m great! Hey, are you free tomorrow?”

“I think so.”

I smiled, “Awesome...”