34. Just the Beginning

~Anton~

I'd been stuck on this bed for a whole week now and I couldn't freaking take it. My dad's doctor said my arm was healing up pretty fine so I'd think he'd let me do something or go to school in the least but he wouldn't. Mom was taking everything so seriously, more seriously than I was to the point it was becoming bothersome. She wanted to do everything for me including feeding me. Crying out loud, my right arm was very much okay and I could very well lift a ten gram spoon to my mouth. Last night she asked Hector if he could scrub my back in the shower because it appeared like I couldn't do it myself. Unbelievable!
Though my arm would take about four months to completely heal, I could move it back and forth and do minor things without feeling pain. I hadn't stepped foot in school ever since the accident and Malachi and Lucas took turns to bring me my homework and class assignments so that I wouldn't lag behind much. But not today. Today, I would sneak to school without my parents' knowledge. Everyone hated school for sure but then not everyone knew what it felt like to stay in a house all by themselves for a whole week straight with nobody but the housekeeper to keep them company. I couldn't swim even if I wanted to, I couldn't play video games, not with one hand, I couldn't even drive myself to wherever. All that was left for me to do was flip through the TV channels and no interesting programs ever showed during the day. I couldn't even attend to my part time job.

So nobody was going to blame me when I packed my books in my bag and began the sneaking out process. I managed to go down the stairs and out the house without anyone seeing me. I almost smiled at how easy that was until I found myself walking to school. At the pace I was moving, I'd probably get to school after second period. Yeah, that wasn't happening. I wasn't walking the whole way there.

I snapped my phone from my pocket and scrolled down my call list till I got to Malachi's number. He took his sweet time to answer and when he did, he clearly disapproved of my getting out of bed.

"Kai, I am going to school with or without help. Although without help it'll take longer." It was exasperating that I had to explain.

"Okay fine, but if anyone asks, this was all you. I had no part in it."

"Yeah, whatever."

I had gone about fifty more yards when I heard a honk behind me. Malachi's Volvo XC90 made a slow halt at the street side and I got in the passenger seat beside him.

"I'm guessing your parents don't know you are off to school?" he asked.

"No."

"And you couldn't have waited till Monday, you just had to attend school on a Friday."

I didn't bother answering that one. He was being sarcastic. I reached for his cassette player and put on some music which was mostly Hard Rock, noise to my ears. I sighed and switched it off. We drove in silence till we got to Westlake high. Once Malachi pulled over at his spot, I felt a little nervous, like how new kids felt at new schools.

"First period is about to start, we'd better hurry." Malachi said. He unlocked his door and got out and I did the same.

Everybody was staring at us as we walked down the hallway. There were whispers around and even though I couldn't hear what they were saying, I could guess. Anton is back, will he play again? What's he going to do about Devon?

I ignored them and stopped at my locker to stash my books inside. I was flipping through one of my books when Ellery sashayed her way to me, her books in her arms.

"You're back!" she grinned. Her eyes looked at me for the go ahead to hug me and I nodded once opening my good arm to her. It was a slight touch but I still felt pain tingling up my shoulder.