Chapter 1

"Mom!" I'm heading out!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Another day, another visit to Travis.

My mom came through the kitchen door still wearing her infamous pink apron. The apron was symbolic. After a bad breakup, my mom would busy herself in the kitchen making every dish and desert imaginable. You'll never hear me complain out loud about her post breakup ritual. What teenager doesn't love sweets?

The only thing I'm bothered by is how often these breakup rituals occur. I can honestly say that if I were to look back a calendar month it's a weekly dilemma.

My mom is a good person but she has this obsessive need to always be with someone.  She lives by the quote of when one door closes, another will open. In her case, the door is any male.

She loves being in 'love.' I use that term loosely because my mom wholeheartedly believes she falls in love with every guy she meets.  She's quick to find that one characteristic that would make him husband/ father material.

"Where you going Sherry?" My mom asked as she patted her hands dry with the apron.

I slipped my arms through my jacket, "Travis, his parents invited me over for family game night."

"Well that was thoughtful of them to invite you.  You must take some cookies with you."

"I guess I could take some chocolate chip cookies."

"Come, I'll help you." I followed my mom back into the kitchen and watched as she placed some cookies on a plastic plate. She then placed wrap on top.

I can't picture Travis complaining when I give him fresh cookies to nibble on. Since his parents are "away" on vacation, he's been ordering in a lot.

"Thanks, Mom. I'm sure his family will like them."

"Tell his parents I said Hi."

**

Once I arrived at Travis's place, I used the key he gave me to let myself in. Inside the house, taking off my shoes, I then made my way into the living room. Travis was sitting on the couch, attentively watching the screen as he played a video game.

"Hey."

Travis briefly took his eyes off the game to glance over at me. "What you got there?"

I walked to the coffee table and settled the plate down. "Cookies. My mom had me bring them over for your parents."

"Still haven't told her?"

I huffed then sat down next to him on the couch. "If I told her, I'd never be able to come over. She doesn't trust us alone. Not since she caught us in my bedroom in a very compromising position.

"She saw something alright"

"You have slow reflexes. You should have be able to cover yourself better."

"Has she said anything about it since?"

"When and why should my mother's opinion matter?"

"She's been around, Mais. Maybe mines the best she's ever seen."

I rolled my eyes and nudged him, "You're sick"

Travis chuckled and placed his free hand on my thigh. He stroked it delicately then returned his attention to the TV screen.  Neither myself or the cookies could hold his attention for long.

"Is it so wrong to ask for your undivided attention?" It would be amazing not to have to constantly compete with the TV screen.

"Chill."