Chapter 13

"Strained relationship? Piers never told me that." He never really said much about his family...Or life for that matter.

"Well I dont think it's very appropriate to discuss private affairs like that with a volunteer." She raised an eyebrow, "There needs to be a barrier between you and my son, my dear. Just because he's helping you out; helping you out with that rut you put yourself into, doesn't mean you two should be overly friendly."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You shouldn't have come here with my son," Her eyes flashed and narrowed. "You two shouldn't even 'hang out' outside of work."

"I didn't ask to come here. Your son invited me, Lady."

"What would Piers's boss think if he found out you two were seeing each other?" she asked acidly, "He can't be affiliated with a criminal."

"Hold up, I'm not dating your son. You've got it all wrong."

"It's obvious," she gave me a look of disgust. "Just stay away. If you care about him at all, you'll pack up what little you have and move on."

Pack up? Take what little I have and move on? Not only was Piers's mom being a complete fuck face to me but I was mad at him too. She obviously knew more than she really needed to know. Piers had to have told her things.

I felt betrayed.

"Don't talk to me like that." I emphasized every word. She had no right to make me feel worthless. Before I could defend myself to that witch, a voice bellowed in the air.

"Ah, we have a guest?" A man I assumed was Piers's dad proceeded down the staircase. He made his way over to us. Piers's dad had dark chocolate hair and brown eyes. He had thick pair of black framed glasses and was wearing a grey suit.

He definitely a business man.

Mrs. Nivans motioned to me with a nod, "That's Sherry." My introduction was quick and Mrs. Nivans's face was stoic.

"Piers's friend?" Mr. Nivans asked.

"No, I'm his charity case." I shot at Mrs. Nivans, emphasizing the charity part. I hoped Piers would show shortly. I figured one more word from her and I'd have her pined on the floor.

Mr. Nivans looked from his wife to myself then decided to change the topic. He too sensed the awkward tension flowing in the air. "Piers's here?"

"I told him to stop by to do laundry," his wife said.

"Great, I've been meaning to ask him to stop by. It's time him and I talked about the future of the dealership."

Ha, like that would go over smoothly.

Even Mrs Nivans agreed. "We've already been over this honey, he has no interest in taking over the business." I wished she hadn't agree with me though..

"I know it's not his first choice , but he has an obligation to this family."

"I don't have to do what makes you happy, dad," Piers came into plain sight. Thank god he was here. At least if anything were to transpire between his mom and I, he could referee it.

My arms hung tense at my sides. I didn't realize my body had changed into protective mode until the confrontation went from Mrs. Nivans and I, to Piers and his dad.

"I'm not in this world to satisfy you dad, so you need to get over it. If you're sick of working, give the presidential duties to Stan. He's been dying for a promotion."

"Stan is not my son."

"No he isn't, but your real son won't be taking over the family business." Piers took a long breath then broke his gaze from his surprised dad's to look at me. It didn't take him long to examine my expression to know that something had happened. His eyes returned to his parents, "What did you do to her?" he demanded.