B for Bisexual

"Bisexual" is a term that tends to be more and more controversial as the panel of sexual identities widens and as people start realising that there are more than two genders.

At the beginning of the LGBT arising, "bisexual" was mostly used to describe a person attracted to people from their gender and the opposite one, that is to say at that time, being attracted to both men and women.

A lot of people (even now) think that being bisexual is for attraction towards both cis men and cis women (same debate as for gay and lesbian: some people think that one is pansexual if they are attracted to a trans person, regardless of their gender).

Some more inclusive people say that "bisexual" is the idea of experiencing attraction towards one's own gender and another binary gende (thus including trans people).

I personally like to believe that being bisexual is feeling aesthetic, sexual and romantic attraction towards people of your own gender (wether you're cis or trans or non-binary) and another gender (binary or not). But I keep in mind the idea of "bi" which means two. But that doesn't mean the existence of only two genders, only attraction to two of them.

But then, I am not bisexual. Please if you are, feel free to comment so I can better explain or complete. If you're not, you're still welcomed to share your point of view.

The term "bisexual" (or "bi" for short) is so controversial these days that some people gather to make it disappear. This way, you might have already seen the hashtag #DropTheB on social media, asking for the community to be named LGTQA+ or for the B to be replaced by the P of Pansexual (LGPT) (see chapter "P for Pansexual) or the Q of Queer (LGQT [sometimes written as LGCutie to convince people]) (see chapter "Q for Queer") or any other initial.

I disagree with this idea as dropping the B would invalidate a big part of our community. I do understand that some people want to drop it because there are more than two genders. But again, I don't think bisexual means being attracted to THE two genders but to two OF the genders.

Finally, I would like to point out that bisexual people are not questioning (at least most of them). They are not hiding their homosexuality and it's not "a phase". It might be hard to understand, I think you have to be bi to perfectly get the feeling. But bi people exist and are valid.

Being bisexual also doesn't mean that you are equally attracted to the two genders you like. It's not 50/50. You can be 80% attracted to people of your gender and 20% attracted to the other. Of course some people do like both genders equally. But you can consider yourself bisexual even if you're 95% gay.
To help you understand your sexual orientation better, you can try to position yourself on the Kinsey scale.

It can be confusing at first and if a lot of people come out as bi before they do as gay, it is not rare that some people who considered themselves 100% straight or 100% gay find "the one" and realize they also felt attraction to another gender, even if it's the slightest.

It's alright to realize you didn't come out as the right sexuality/gender (see chapter "Questioning"). Don't take anything for granted and assume that "I'm a gay woman and I'll never ever fall in love with a man" because you might feel attracted to men but have never fallen in love with one yet and one day find out your significant other is a man (but you're still mainly attracted to women). Just be careful not hurting and/or invalidating someone or a group as you re-label yourself.

You understand ?

FYI: in the ancient Greece and Roman Empire, being bisexual was considered "normality". It is not a trend, nor is homosexuality or being transgender (see chapter "Social definition of genders"). Actually, Greeks believed that a same-sex love was purer than a heterosexual relationship as gay love wasn't made for breeding.

Time and hating people decided that LGBT people weren't normal. Only you can take it back by getting educated and educating.

N.B.: do not mix up bisexuality with homoflexibility, which is the willingness to take part in heterosexual/homosexual activity (depending on if your primarily straight or gay).