Chapter 8

Lina's POV

I get in my room and strip down to go into the shower. I hide the paper bag under my bed and reel into the bathroom. I turn on some music and step onto the cold tiles, turning on the hot water. The water runs down my face as I begin washing off the makeup from today.

"Three songs in three days." I begin going over my assignments for the college courses I'm taking. I got a small scholarship but that's just because I did a lot of volunteer work in the summer for a few years and got "recognized" for it. I take a music course and out of hundreds of students taking the same class, only one gets a record deal. It's all crazy how close I am to all of this because I wanted this for so long. 

"Lina the phone rang. It's for you." I hear Clara yell from the outside of the bathroom. I reach my hand out and turn down the music.

"Can you tell them to call in like twenty minutes?" I yell back.

"It's Joe Simpson?" She answers. I almost fall right then and there because I've been waiting for a call from him since forever. He's a talent manager and Jessica Simpsons father. He's the key to my success. I step out of the shower and unlock the bathroom door.

"Yes hello?" I basically yank the phone from Clara's hand. "Mr.Simpson hello." I get back into the shower and put the phone on speaker.

"Please, call me Joe." He casually says. "I just went over the file your teacher, Mr.Jackson, sent. I must say... you're a very talented artist. The lyrics in the song are incredible and your vocals remind me of my baby girls, Jessica's, voice. Pure art." I start washing my hair and smiling at the compliment I just received. 

"Thank you" I say "That really means a lot."

"I'm coming to California soon to visit my daughters." He informs "I would love to meet with you."

"Yes" I quickly say. "Any day is fine. I can clear my schedule and we can get together." 

"Alright and one more thing, Miss.Peterson."

"Anything." I answer, washing off my hair and turning off the water.

"I hope you're okay with this but..." He trails off. I take the phone out of the shower and place it on the sink. "You have an interview with my friend, Drew Clay. She's going to ask you about life on campus and about your music. It won't be anything too big I promise. Just something that'll get the name Lina Peterson out there."

"I'm speechless." Is all I manage to say. "How will I ever thank you? This is incredible!"

"Just attend the interview." He smiles through the phone. "I need to run. It's almost six and I have a plane to catch. I'll email you the addresses and numbers and all the information you need to know. See you next week." Is all he says, before hanging up.

I look in the mirror and wrap my towel tighter around my chest.

"This is happening." I think. "This is all finally happening."