Chapter 9

Mistaken Emotions

---

Hodaya had always been clever, opinionated and dreamy. Hadassah was the grounded one- the one with common sense, and truth. Tamar was ambitious and efficient. In her eyes, she was going to be the greatest wife and mother to a scholarly, well off gentleman. She worked very hard each day on her domestic skills so that she could rise above her station to marry someone that took her out of poverty. After all, she had no dowry or family name; she could only rely on herself.

So while Tamar dreamt of perfect housewifery and Hodaya of education and ideals, Hadassah tried to impart her knowledge of what being a woman really meant for them. She hoped to snap them out of their unrealistic worlds and introduce them to the truth, for that was what prepared her for marriage. If she hadn't known what life as a wife was really like, it would have been so much worse and that was what she dreaded for her little sisters.

Therefore, it was plain to see that the three girls cared and adored for each other properly. From a young age, they preferred each other's company to their brothers'. Even Hodaya found herself being gravitated towards them more often than not.

This was peculiar for two reasons. The first being the fact that Tachlifa was her twin; normally, those born together share a unique bond that holds them tightly. However, they loved each other in perfectly normality. Moreover, she often liked to climb trees, race and swim- acts normally associated with the boys, meaning it would be only natural for her to play mainly with her brothers and their chums.

Nonetheless, she spent most of her time with her sisters. Despite their differences, they managed to get on well. Of course, that also entailed many arguments, mostly between Hodaya and Tamar, for their outlook on the world really was entirely contrasting. As neither of them were realistic, nor were they the same, they found plenty to dispute on. Hadassah, as the responsible one of the three, often acted as a diplomat between the two, which soon grew tiring.

Tamar could be horrid in her arguing. While Hodaya tended to keep only to the facts, Tamar always made it personal, which often left the former very riled and very upset for both were equal in passion. However, Hodaya had always been much kinder. How could she be both kind and angry?

The first argument that they could always remember happened when Hodaya was eight and Tamar was six.

Hadassah and Hodaya were playing in their barn by leaping up onto the barrels of bay and over their old cow, who moaned loudly in protest of the racket they were causing.  Meanwhile, Tamar sat on the ground, for she was too little to jump up.

"Let's play something else," she whined, "I can't reach and anyway, mama said we're not supposed to play games like this. Can't we play House? Can't we play with the doll?"

"We want to play this at the moment, but we can lower the barrels so you can reach," suggested Hadassah as she leapt over the cow again.

"I don't want to jump about! You both look silly," she said in retaliation. She crossed her arms in protest and brought up her legs to her chest to show her sulk.

"Don't be so bitter, Tamar. We'll play your game after lunch. We promise," said Hodaya.

That kept the little sister quiet for a while, until she decided that lunch was too far away. She whined further and further, until Hodaya tried to convince her to go play by herself. All of a sudden, Tamar was crying and calling her sisters an all manner of names. While Hadassah wanted to just give up and play dolls, Hodaya stood firm.

"We said after lunch, but now you've thrown a tantrum like a little baby, we shan't play House at all," she said with her nose in the air.

Soon the barn was shaking with the weight of Tamar and Hodaya's increasing shouts. They began to kick and squeal, all with Tamar calling her names and Hodaya stringing together an all manner of sentences as to why she was being completely unreasonable.