Prologue

A/N Now I'd just like to warn you, it has been a few years since I wrote the predecessor of this book, so my writing has changed a lot. So here we go!

"Astrid!"

The bellow echoed off the stone walls of the small cove that provided some shelter for a small figure huddled in a corner. At the voice, the girl shuddered. She did not want to talk today, of all days. With a shaky hand, she pushed back a strand of golden hair that had come loose from her braid. 

"Astrid! I know you're here!"

Heaving a sigh, Astrid uncurled herself and rose to her feet. Her cloak wrapped tightly around her, she braced the cold and climbed the wall of the cove to where she knew he was waiting. When she reached the top of the wall, her limbs numb with coldness, she stood, avoiding the stare of her fiancee. 

"Oh, Astrid, why do you do this to yourself?" She could hear a ruffling sound, and then a warm layer of fabric was wrapped around her shoulders. She raised her eyes and stared numbly at Fishlegs Ingerman, her future husband. They had been engaged for a few months now, after Astrid's parents pestered her to find someone. A few months ago, a terrible disease had overcome the village, killing many people, including Astrid's father. Her mother had left weeks later on a ship headed for Berserker Island, to seek closure with her cousin, Angus, however tragedy struck and her boat encountered an unavoidable tempest. Astrid, broken from her parents' demise, decided to grant them their last wish, and accept Fishlegs' hand. 

"Let's get you back to the village." Astrid felt Fishlegs' arm around her as he guided her back to the village. She went without complaint. She didn't speak much these days. Why should she? Everyone she truly cared about was gone. 

***

"Chief, I don't know what to do. She won't talk to anyone, she won't eat. She spends all her time either in the cove, or with her dragon." Fishlegs ran a hand over his face. Stoick placed a firm hand on the young man's shoulder.

"Son, I know this is hard for you. It was hard for me when Valka was taken from me. Astrid is going through a rough time right now. Thor, she just lost her parents!" Fishlegs turned and sat in a chair—Hiccup's old chair, if he recalled correctly. Shaking his head from such thoughts, Fishlegs placed his head in his hands. 

"So there's nothing I can do for her?" Fishlegs asked, defeated.

"I'm sorry, son."

"It's ok, thanks Chief." Fishlegs rose and, with a nod to Stoick, left the house and headed home. The gloomy weather felt like a weight on his shoulders. 

As he descended the stairs, his mind returned to his relationship with Astrid. In all truth, he only saw Astrid as a sister. He had seen her cracking under the pressure her parents laid on her to become a wife, and decided to help her out. With the only other possible suitors for Astrid on Berk being Snotlout Jorgenson and Tuffnut Thorston, Fishlegs knew Astrid's best chance at being happy was with him. 

Today was not a typical day, as this was the day that exactly five years ago, Hiccup Haddock, Chief Stoick's son, hopped on his Night Fury and left Berk forever. Fishlegs didn't really feel much different, as he had never known Hiccup very well, but he could tell Astrid missed him. Every year on this day, she disappeared from morning to nightfall, always ending up at the cove where Fishlegs found her. Rather than get better over the years, it seemed to get worse. She stayed out for longer than before, and while she used to bring her dragon, she no longer did. 

Fishlegs sighed, as he walked to his house. She'll get better, he told himself. At least, I hope she will.

***

A/N OK, so how was that? yes, I know it's a little short, but I'm getting tired, so I suppose I'll be done for the night. The first chapter should be up sometime this week! Thanks for reading!