Chapter 1

Droplets of water fell from the ceiling, trickling gently down the side of the cave. By some standards, the room was more of an ice box than a living space. However, coldness was not at all on the mind of the twenty-year-old man lying on the bed.

The large room was designed in a unique fashion, with a large pit of rocks in the centre, and a small forge by the entryway. The door itself was a simple periwinkle curtain hung across the opening on a rod of steel. In the walls were many shelf-like indents, storing books and maps and little trinkets here and there. Light filtered in from a small hole in the ceiling between stalactites But the most peculiar thing about the room was that all the walls, the floor and the ceiling were made of blue ice. 

The man sighed and sat up. The past few months had been extremely uneventful for the dragon rider. They had defeated Drago Bludvist a year earlier, and had finished rounding up and putting an end to all of his followers, with the help of his mother of course. 

At first, he had believed these actionless months would be fun. He would map the world, train new dragons, discover new species, invent new things! But really what happened was he lost his map and had to start over, he got his right hand bitten off by an agitated skrill, he had yet to find any new dragons, AND his forge broke down three times. Needless to say, things were not going as planned for Hiccup. There was success, however, in the fact that he'd managed to craft a gronckle iron hand for himself between the forge's collapses. 

It took a while to adjust to his new hand, just like it had with his foot, however, his hand was different. He had to use it for so much more than just walking. Sometimes it would seize up and not respond to Hiccup's movements. Valka was very helpful in those times, helping him pick up things.

Hiccup smiled slightly at the thought of his mother. She was the only person in the world that could even come close to understanding him. She'd helped him to grow and become who he was. She'd even helped him discover many secrets about his own dragon. Hiccup couldn't imagine a life without her.

Hiccup pushed himself up from the bed and walked over to one of the indents in the wall that held books. He didn't have to open them to know what was written within, for he himself was the author. Picking up a book titled The Sharp Class and a quill and ink, Hiccup walked past the forge, pushed aside the curtain, and left the room. 

His metal leg clanked against the icy floor, the sound echoing off the walls, likely alerting Valka to her son's presence. Running his real hand through his hair, Hiccup approached the doorway to the large room that was their house. 

The stalactite strewn ceiling towered above the circular ice cave, small holes showering the room with light. Through an enormous gap in the far wall, vegetation was visible on a giant column of ice and stone, flourishing despite the cold climate. 

The cavern itself was full of homey items, including an engraved pine table with matching singed chairs. Atop the table was a small bowl of dragon fruit and papers scattered across the remainder of the surface. 

To the left of the tunnel leading to Hiccup's room was a large flat stone suspended horizontally over a crackling fire, strips of meat sizzling aromatically on the slab.

And standing over the food, hair tied back from her pale, flawless face was the Mother of Dragons herself, Valka.

This was a woman of grace and beauty, a mystery and an adventurer wrapped in a flame-resistant cloak and dragon scale armour.

She glanced up as her son entered the room, a motherly smile on her face.

"Good morning," Valka approached Hiccup and kissed his forehead, before returning to tend to the fire. "Breakfast is almost ready."