Chapter 9

The next few days passed normally, and I was starting into a routine when my world came crashing down once more. It was Wednesday morning, period one English class, when Mr. Vlazen came into the room. I sat into the corner with Vincent, Makenzie and Cecei, who always looked extremely uncomfortable to be around my other friends. Mr. Shaun followed Mr. Vlazen into the classroom, and the entire room fell silent. We knew that Mr. Shaun was not there to deliver good news.

"Hello, as many of you know a student by the name of Emily Mills went missing on Saturday. Early this morning a hiker found her body in the crime scene of Lauryn's death. It appears she too committed suicide. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mills and Hommes families," Mr. Shaun fell silent and everyone in the class looked down.

Somewhere across the room a page rustled, and slowly secret whispers turned to conversation, and the classroom buzzed with life. I looked at Makenzie, and Vincent who both were still looking at the floor. Vincent seemed to be deep in thought, while Makenzie just looked as if he got lost inside his own mind. Cecei was staring at me, as if I was supposed to do something.

"What?" I whispered at her, and Makenzie found his was out of his head, in time to look at Cecei for the answer.

"Well, I was talking at your gathering to a few people, and heard that you and some others were investigation if Lauryn's death was a murder. I also heard that you found a doubt to build suspicion on. Do you think this one's murder too?" Cecei asked, a little to loudly, though no one overheard us. Vincent was drawn out of his thoughts.

"Well, it seems probably if you look at it from Emily's point of view that she killed herself, I mean, it could be a serial killer, but its only been about two weeks since Lauryn's body was found. To be considered a serial killer you have to kill more that n three people over the course of a month. Even if we're going from when she first went missing, we're only looking at about 18 days, and two body's," I explained, and they seemed satisfied.

"Assuming that he runs on this 13-day cycle of take someone, kill them and place the body five days later, then rest for eight days, if he kills one more time, he'd be at three victims and 31 days, since the first body, or three kills and 39 days total," Cecei contradicted me.

"I really hope he doesn't kill anyone else though," Vincent added.

"Why are we assuming it's a 'he'?" Makenzie asked, and I saw that we had been referring to the killer as 'he'.

"I don't know, but meet up at lunch and we can talk more," I aid and turned around to face the front of the classroom, where Mr. Vlazen was waiting for silence so that he could begin his lesson.

At lunch, we joined the entire group that had been at my house gathering. I told them that we needed a name, so I didn't have to refer to them as 'the group' or by one of their names and then add 'and them' after.

"We could call ourselves the Crazies," Cecei suggested and we all looked at her, for it wasn't a very good name. "What? We're trying to prove that a suicide was a serial killing, we must be some level of crazy, hence a crazy name."

"It's a little too crazy though don't you think?" Makenzie asked looking at the rest of us.

"Or maybe it's just crazy enough," I said, and we all smiled.

We met up that night to further discuss our plans for the investigation. Since my dad worked in the city, and often ended up staying late, my house became headquarters. The entire thing felt like a childhood game to me, only it was real.

"The only problem is, we can't make a pattern," I said looking at more photocopied police files.

"Why not?" Jaxon asked