Chapter 11

The walk seemed to stretch out into eternities, until eventually we reached the police station. They had enough evidence to arrest Liam and Jaxon, and now they were looking for more to back up their case. I for one, was not going to allow this.

I was seated in a waiting room for twenty minutes, during which my father came and sat with me. He said nothing, as there was nothing to be said. A short female officer had lead us to the interview room, where we met Detective Ethan Prostga.

Prostga was a medium height man, who stood somewhere around six feet, give or take. He had light auburn hair, that was thick and wavy, much like Toby's. His eyes were vivid green, and when he looked me in the eye, I felt compelled to tell the truth.

"Miss Elsabeth Marie Tanya Cannes," he said and then paused. I realised he was stating my name for the record.

"Oh, yes. That's me," I said, unsure.

"Could you tell us the nature of your relationship with Liam Myanna and Jaxon Lyndale?" he asked and looked up at me.

"We were friends," I said, it was pretty self-explanatory, but Detective Prostga looked like he wanted more.

"Did you know of, or participate in the illegal activities of your friends?" he asked, and I could tell that he meant business. I was nervous, but I knew that it would be over soon. The others had taken about ten minutes each.

"Excuse me?" I asked, in a panic to buy time. I didn't want to lie.

"Did you know what they were doing, or did you help them?" He rephrased, and I knew that I would have to answer.

"Yes," I said.

"Elsabeth," Dad said harshly, surprised.

"Please Mr. Cannes. Miss Elsabeth, could you specify for me?" he was being oddly polite, almost as if he could sense that I was nervous.

"I knew to a certain extent. I knew that they had been looking into police files," I said, and regretted it. Not only were they in trouble, but I would now be I trouble. After all, though, if I'm going down, it might as well be with my friends.

"Why did you not report this?"

"They were my friends, I didn't want to betray them, I also didn't know how bad it really was. At first, I thought they were just joking around," I reasoned, and dad started whispering rapidly in my ear.

"Mr. Cannes if you please. Miss Elsabeth you were on the scene when they were trying to run, were you not?"

"Yes," I said uncomfortably. I hated how he referred to me as 'Miss Elsabeth', it made me feel like I had committed a capital offense.

"And they were running from your house?"

"Yes," I repeated, like a broken record.

"I think that that's all that I'll need for now. I must ask though that you do not leave town, and stay open for questioning over the next period of time. Thank you, you may go now," Detective Prostga waved his hand, and the same constable escorted us out, then took Ria in.

The way home was long, and da muttered angrily at me the whole way. Once we got home, I ran to my room and locked myself in. I didn't want to see or hear from anyone, ever again. I sat on my bed, and felt hot tears well up, then spill over my eyes. I sobbed silently.

An hour later, I was shaking slightly still, and lying on my side. My room was dimly lit form the street lamp on the street below, and when I rolled over, I saw him hidden in the shadows. Jumping out of bed, I backed away from the corner of my room where the figure stood. As I back away, he stepped forward, and I saw that it was only Toby.