Chapter 18

If I ran into the middle, I ran the risk of being hit by a car, but people would defiantly stop. I decided that if I were to die, it would be my own terms and since it wasn't rush hour, I hoped no one would hit me. I ran into the centre of the lane running towards town, and about three cars stopped, the first almost crashing into me, but hitting the guard rail instead.

Toby, Liam and Jaxon stopped at the guard rail, not hurdling it like I had. I was safe, as cars had stopped traffic, and someone had called 911. I smiled at them, knowing I had won, and I saw regret, revenge and agony painted on their faces like neon signs, as a symbol of their defeat.

For once in my life, when chaos struck, the world didn't move in slow motion. I barely remember the ride back to the police station. What I do remember is someone seeing Toby and them watching, and then someone chasing them. They came back handcuffed, and got taken into the city. This matter was too big for our small-town police, and the city was closer, but only slightly.

I had never really been in the city of Orchal much, but it was beautiful in the setting sun. the police station was huge and modern, and when I came out of the interview room, my mother, and father were waiting for me. They stepped aside as I walked towards them, and standing behind them was Vincent, and Makenzie. I ran towards them, like in the movies and we all hugged. I was a fool to feel happiness before, as even though I knew this was what happiness felt like, I was closer than ever. Happiness wasn't pain, but the pain would fade eventually, and I'd be alright.

The next winter rolled around, and I had somehow convinced my parents to let me stay in Wickerby, and we kept their home as a cottage. I went there in the summer with Vincent, Makenzie and Cecei. Ria moved away, from the shock, and Kaitlynn and I never talked. No one spoke of the past summer events, especially not to me. The only ones who were ever honest with me about them were Toby, Jaxon and Liam, who I went into the city once a month to visit.

At the start, it was to show them how they could not beat me, but after a while, I did it purely out of the bottom of my heart. No one else came to visit them. I was there more often than all of their parents combined. Vincent came with me sometimes, but Makenzie and Cecei stayed away. It was early February and exams had just finished, when I went there alone. I had my G2 drivers license and drove myself, so I could be all alone. It was snowing heavily, so visitors were scarce. I sat in across the smooth silver table from the three of them.

"Still crazy?" I asked them that every time, and we had developed a weird friendship.

"You're the crazy one Ardene," Jaxon responded.

"You're still mad I won," I said and smiled.

"You didn't win, you succeeded in escaping, that wasn't even the whole battle, let alone the war. I have more plans for you Ardene and don't you forget it," Jaxon said coldly, and for the first time since the past June, I felt terror creep into my soul.