Welcome to Camp Altea (Week one)

"Alright guys, everyone okay?"

The room of kids answered with a call of tired yes's, and Shiro grinned in relief.

"Awesome," he confirmed, "I'll see you all at breakfast at eight tomorrow morning!"

With that, he slipped his head out of the door, shutting it gently as his watch flashed nine-thirty.

It had been a long day - the camp had started that morning, buses of schools and kids in overbearing parents' cars turning up to Camp Altea in their droves. Coran had decided to stick Shiro with Allura on the welcome team - a job which he hated and dreaded every year - so he'd practically been on his feet for the past twelve hours.

Thankfully, the kids allocated to the Black camp were blessings, and orientation had been a breeze. He considered himself a little lucky in that regard; he'd passed Keith and the red camp during the tour, who was glaring him daggers over the green.

"They're little shits, all of them," he complained at lunch the next day, picking at his sandwich as Hunk gave him a sympathetic side-hug, "first they argue over room placement, then the timetable, then lunch - how can you argue over lunch?"

"At least they're not physically scrapping?" Pidge offered through a mouthful of food, "two kids in green nearly killed each other over sleeping bags this morning."

Keith hummed, dumping his sandwich back on the plastic plate to stab at the limp looking salad. "I guess."

"I don't think the yellow kids are too bad?" Hunk said with a frown, "I'll trade if you want-"

"No Hunk, that's not fair," Allura interjected, and Shiro felt himself laugh slightly as Keith grimaced dejectedly, "we can't just reallocate people."

Pidge elbowed him, leaning in with one hand over her mouth. "That's only because the Blue kids are absolute angels and she doesn't want to swap."

Pidge must have been less than subtle, for Allura stiffened on Shiro's other side.

"Anyway," Shiro said with a cough, changing the subject hastily, "is there anything new this year? I didn't notice anything, but I missed the briefing."

"Not much," Allura said, finally relaxing after Pidge's accusation and pushing the tray away from her, "a few new tutors, and a few updates to the buildings, but other than that-"

"Oh yeah!" Hunk interrupted, pulling his arm away from around Keith, "Lance is here this year!"

Keith's face instantly fell. "You mean that annoying new archery tutor?" He deadpanned, "I meet him today and the first thing he says to me? 'Quiznak, I didn't realise mullets were still legal - shouldn't you have been arrested by the fashion police by now?'"
He rolled his eyes, letting his head drop. "He's gonna' be infuriating."

"Give him a chance?" Hunk said with a sheepish grin, "he thinks he's funny, just roll with it."

Instead, Keith just muttered something indistinguishable and ripped the lid off his pudding cup angrily.

"Well, Black Camp has archery first thing tomorrow," Shiro mused, resting his chin in his hands that were propped up on the table, "I guess I'll see him then."

"Wait, Hunk, you know him?" Pidge asked, taking a sip from her water cup.

Hunk nodded, grin spreading over his face. "We went to high school together - we were like, best friends until we went to different collages, and even then we stayed in contact." He stopped to steal a discarded fry on Keith's plate. "He's a nice guy, I promise."