Part 4-February 17: Rendezvous

Hazel was in her bed, a fuzzy blanket wrapped around her legs, her laptop on her knees.

"Dad," Hazel heard Piper mutter in her sleep. Piper was in the other room, dozing on the couch.

Hazel ignored her. "Done," she exclaimed, finishing her essay. It was 2:32 in the morning. Hazel put her laptop on the side and laid down. Ever since Valentine's Day, Hazel was barely able to sleep. All night the image of an unconscious Frank flew in out of her head. She was hoping that tonight would be better, but who knew. She closed her eyes tight, and exhaled. Surprisingly, she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

***

"Hazel," said a soft voice, shaking her shoulder. "We've got to go."

Hazel's eyes fluttered open. She raised her head and saw a smiling Piper looking at her.

"Isn't today Saturday?" Hazel croaked.

"Don't you want to see Frank?"

Hazel did. Ever since Piper told her about Frank's unheard confession, Hazel could never turn down an offer to see him.

"Okay," Hazel replied, getting up and heading toward the bathroom.

Hazel brushed her teeth, took a shower, slipped a printed white hoodie and jeans on before doing her hair. The girls each wolfed down a bowl of cereal and exited the apartment, making their way toward the hospital. When they reached the hospital, Hazel's stomach gave an unfamiliar lurch, but it didn't feel scary. It felt relieving, almost. They got to Frank's room, but were stopped by a blonde man with square framed glasses.

"Um, can we go inside?" Piper asked.

"Oh!" the man said, as if just seeing them. "Hi, I'm Dr. Solace, Mr. Zhang's doctor. Are you friends of Frank?"

"Yes," Hazel replied calmly. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh, much better. You see, Mr. Zhang woke up today."

Hazel almost fell over.

"He what?" she exclaimed.

"Yes, he woke up," Dr. Solace said, cleaning his glasses.

"Uh, so can we see him?" Piper replied.

"Oh!" he said again. "I suppose, but he is changing right now, so I would suggest in a couple minutes when he is done."

"We aren't dumb, we didn't need the suggestion," Hazel heard Piper mutter under her breath.

"Well, I'll see you later," Dr. Solace said, walking past the girls.

Piper and Hazel stood there in silence for a few minutes. Finally, Hazel gathered enough courage and knocked on the door.

"Come in," said a weak voice that Hazel recognized as Frank's.

Hazel turned around and looked at Piper, who encouraged her to open the door. Hazel took a deep breath and turned the cool doorknob. She entered the room.

"Hi Hazel," he croaked. "H-hi Piper."

"Hi Frank," Hazel replied shyly.

Piper closed the door and stood next to Hazel.

"So, Frank. How are you feeling? Better? That's good," Piper started, continuing the conversation. "I'm gonna be real straight-forward: I told Hazel about the flowers for Valentine's Day."

Hazel looked at her feet.

"Oh," Frank said. He was quiet for about three minutes. Hazel's stomach gave another lurch, but it was not relieving this time. Suspense was building in the room. Why wouldn't Frank say anything? Finally, he spoke. "I feel awful. The thing is, the flowers, they weren't for Hazel."

Hazel looked up to see a pale-faced Frank and wide-eyed Piper.

"Who were they for?" Piper asked.

Frank blushed. "Th-they were for you, but I couldn't say what name I wanted on the bouquet because you were the one at the counter."

Piper's jaw dropped.

"I'm sorry, what?" she asked after a while. Frank glanced at Hazel and continued.

"I'm really sorry about this," he said, not making eye contact with Piper. "I didn't really know what to do."

"You have nothing to apologize for," Hazel said, looking at Frank. "Moving on from this topic, how do you feel?"

"Hazel-" Piper started.

"How are you feeling?" Hazel asked Frank again, this time more forcefully.

"I-I'm fine," he replied, his face pink.

"Hazel," Piper said, sounding urgent for no apparent reason. "We have to go to the flower shop now. It's nine."

Hazel looked at her watch. "You're right. We have to go." She said, looking at Frank, a forced smile on her face.

"Thank you for coming," Frank said, his voice becoming weak.

"No problem," Hazel said, exiting the door, Piper behind her.

They left the hospital.