Part 5-February 25: Bittersweet

All throughout the days, Piper told Hazel how sorry she was, but Hazel shook her off, telling her she was fine, that she didn't even care. But it seemed like Hazel was reassuring herself more than Piper. When Hazel got home from her tedious days, all she wanted to do was think about the day-that is with a bowl of ice cream. However, when she did get home the only thing she had on her mind was sleep. The ice cream could wait.

Hazel woke up and reminded herself that it was Sunday. No work. She took a deep breath. She brushed her teeth and took a quick shower. She went to her living room, plopped on her couch, brushing her hair. Why was she so upset with Frank? It wasn't like she knew him that she could like him. Was it the possibility of being with someone?

Then she knew it.

"Piper," she whispered. She loved Piper as her best friend, but she was upset at her. Not Frank, but Piper.

Piper was the one who had planted the idea of Frank liking her, about Frank getting the flowers for her. But, it wasn't Piper's fault. She didn't know. Hazel got up and grabbed a bowl of cereal, spooning the fruity pieces into her mouth, but each piece tasted bitter. Would Piper tell Frank that she liked him?

Wait.

Piper liked Jason. Hazel already knew this.

But why was Hazel so worried? She didn't even like Frank! Heck, she didn't even know his middle name! A ring from her phone shook Hazel out of her thoughts. It was Piper. Hazel really didn't want to talk to anyone, but reluctantly picked up the phone.

"Hazel?" Piper said through the phone.

"That is who you called, right?" Hazel replied.

"Ha ha," Piper said sarcastically. "Can we meet up later today?"

"Pipes, is it an emergency? We see each other six times a week. What's one day?"

"I know, I was just wondering."

"I don't mean to sound rude or anything," Hazel continued, afraid she had offended her friend. "I'm just dead tired."

"I get it," Piper said, her voice kind. "Bye then." She hung up. Hazel sighed.

Four minutes and two cereal bowls later, Piper texted Hazel. It was a phone number.

What. The. Heck.

That was all Hazel was thinking. Another text.

It was one word: Frank.

What. The. Literal. Heck.

Another text. Gosh, this was tiring.

Call him.

WHAT. THE. HECK.

No way!

Why would Hazel call him?

Ignoring the texts, Hazel grabbed her bag, shoved in her phone, and grabbed a pair of headphones. She exited her apartment and locked the door. She called a taxi and made her way to a cafe. Okay, so you're probably thinking Starbucks, Hard Rock, maybe Dunkin' Donuts, but no. This cafe was the smallest, yet most beautiful cafe you'd ever seen. The furniture was modernized, the lights at a perfect color and brightness, the employees kind. And the coffee? Amazing! Just the right ratio to sugar and coffee. The name? Now don't get too excited. Authentic Coffee. Yes, that was the name. But the name didn't matter. The place was always so quiet and peaceful. Perfect for both work and art, and today Hazel was doing the latter.

She entered the cafe and was greeted by a kind smile.

"Hello Hazel," said the red-headed girl at the counter. "What'll it be today?"

"Hi Rachel," Hazel replied, setting her bag down at a chair. "Um, I'll have a hot chocolate and, um, I'll have a brownie."

"Anything for Piper?"

The girls were here so much, they had no problem becoming friends with Rachel.

"Guess who the brownie is for."

She'd give Piper the sweet treat tomorrow.

Rachel smiled. Hazel sat down and took out her sketch pad and pencil. She began to sketch a circle. Just a simple circle, when Rachel had come with her order.

"Here you go," she said, sitting across from Hazel. "So, what's wrong?"

Hazel took a long drink from the cup. Bitter. "Nothing's wrong. Why would you think something was going on?"

"You forgot to pay," Rachel said, a smile playing on her lips.

"Oh, right," Hazel said, digging in her bag for her wallet. "Sorry about that."

"No problem, Hazel."

Hazel looked around in her bag for at least three more minutes.

"Hazel, if you don't have it, it's okay," Rachel said. "I know you'll pay next time."

"I feel really bad, Rachel," Hazel said. "A lot on my mind lately, with exams coming up soon and all. I promise, I'll pay tomorrow."

"Really, it's okay-" Rachel started, but was cut off by another voice.

"I'll pay for it," the voice said. The voice was deep, full of layers, and strangely familiar. Hazel looked up and almost had a heart attack. It was Frank.

No.

It couldn't be.

Hazel looked again. It was definitely Frank. Hazel was tongue-tied. What was he doing here?

"Frank, it's fine," she said, finally forcing the words out.

"No," Frank replied, looking Hazel in the eyes. "It's the least I can do."

Hazel looked puzzled. Frank quickly paid Rachel before Hazel could interfere. "Keep the change."

Rachel took the money and left the seat and headed into the kitchen. Frank sat down where Rachel was seconds ago.

"Frank, why did you do that?"

"I was coming in, and saw the whole thing," he said. "After everything that happened, I figured I should do something."

"What happened, exactly?" Hazel said sipping her coffee. Then it struck her. The room, the events. "Thanks, but you really didn't have to. Wait, when were you discharged from the hospital?"

"Couple of days ago," Frank shrugged. "So, Hazel, tell me a little about yourself."

That was abrupt.

"Pardon?" Hazel coughed, choking on her drink.

"Well, I was thinking that I could get to know you a little better," he swallowed. "I mean, not in a weird way or anything, I just figured that we could be friends. I hope that's okay."

Hazel looked down. For some reason, she was embarrassed. "I guess."

"Okay then, what's your favorite color?"

"Blue," Hazel replied, continuing to sketch. "Yours?"

"Red," he said. "What's that?" He peeked at her sketch.

"Nothing," she said, but really it was everything. Two circles intertwined. Two circles, one blue, one red.