Part 8-March 9th: The Banquet

Hazel reached for dress and slipped it over her head. It was the day of the athletic banquet, and Frank was picking her up in thirty minutes. She was about to start on her hair, when a ding came from her phone. It was Frank.

Frank: Hey, forgot to ask, what's ur address?

She grabbed her phone and typed a response. She put her phone back down and did her hair in a tight top knot. Hazel had just finished her makeup when she heard a knock on the door. She grabbed her phone and purse, and went to open the door.

"Hi Hazel," Frank said. He was dressed in a sharp suit, wearing a royal blue tie. "Y-you look nice."

Hazel blushed. "Thanks." She grabbed her coat off a hook, exited, and locked the door behind her. The two walked down the stairs, outside, and summoned a taxi. They climbed in and gave the address to the driver. After around ten minutes of silence, they reached the university. Frank paid the driver, and the two entered the wooden doors to the university's auditorium, which was decorated in blue and yellow - the colors of the university.

"I think we're towards the front," Frank whispered into Hazel's ear. His breath felt warm against her ear. Hazel nodded her head and they continued walking. Most of the auditorium was empty, with just a few people sprinkled around. They sat down and began to talk, until Annabeth and Percy came.

"Hey Hazel," Annabeth said, her voice cheerful. "I didn't think I'd see you here."

"I told you I was coming," Hazel replied, smiling.

The four students killed their time by talking with one another, until the banquet finally started.

"Hello, and welcome to Manhattan University's 76th annual athletic banquet!" the principal, Mr. Colossi introduced. "Although the sports' season hasn't ended just yet, we would like to recognize some of our players. Ms. Strider, our head coach will be presenting the awards."

There was applause from the audience as Ms. Strider stepped up to the podium.

"Good evening," she said, her voice clear and crisp. "The first award today is for the boys' basketball team. The most valuable player for the boys' basketball team is Jason Grace!"

Applause.

"The second award of the evening is for the girls' basketball team. The award goes to Annabeth Chase!"

More applause.

Half an hour and six awards later, it was time for the final award of the night.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the last award of the evening, for the boys' football team goes to..."

Hazel whispered into Frank's ear. "It's going to be you."

"Percy Jackson!"

Hazel was slightly shocked. She knew that Percy was a good player, but what about Frank?

The audience erupted in applause. Hazel glanced at Frank, who was clapping for his friend, but otherwise looked queasy.

"Frank, are you all right?" Hazel asked.

"I-I'm f-fine," Frank replied, his eyes becoming slightly unfocused. The next second, his head became limp and his eyes shut.