Chapter Three: Anxiously Dreading

Hazel's POV:

It's nearing the end of summer, and school will start soon.

Why?

Is the question I ask my best friend Amber. I have also known her for the longest of time. But we're closer than me and Dylan. Amber has long chestnut brown hair, long eyelashes, and long legs. Although you would think someone like Amber would be as popular as the many cheerleaders we have, it's quite the opposite. She's just like me, a misfit in the world of high school. But she's very popular with the guys, while I'm not popular with anyone.

I'm talking to Amber in the July heat, sitting at a table inside a cafe. The things we talk about are mainly three topics. Shopping discounts, new names and drinks they have yet to invent at Starbucks, and dating life. Apparently I missed the memo that we're only going to discuss my love life today.

First of all, that's so unfair. She has a love life too, but her's seems more probable than mine. Which is all the reason more to push forward. Second, there's much more gossip we could talk about, or the chocolate green tea with caramel called "Smooth Crunch Tea". Yeah, I know we're weird. Third, I really wanted to talk about this anyway. I feel like I really need to tell her about my dream.

"So..." Amber starts.

"So?" I reply.

"What're you dying to tell me?" She whispers.

"Tell you?" I scoff. "Why would I need to tell you anything?"

"Don't even try to lie," she says with a smirk, "you know your dying to tell me something. I can see right through you."

"Okay, yeah, there is something." I admit.

"Yes!" she squeals. "I knew it, I totally knew it! So what is it?"

"Well, it was a dream." I begin.

"Ugh," Amber grunted.

"It's different this time." I say, hoping to keep her attention.

"How so? You always tell me about your dreams, but there's nothing to make of it!" she snaps.

"Yes, but this time is different I swear. Please, just hear me out."

"Go ahead." she replies with the wave of a hand.

"First of all, it just felt real, that's not something I can really explain. But it feels like it was something that happened, or I guess will happen. Second, I couldn't make the onlookers disappear. That's not something that happens in a dream. In a dream you're supposed to have the power to do anything you want, especially make people disappear. And third, he was asking me to prom. PROM! And you know my imagination ain't that creative. Plus he was blushing! In all of my recent dreams not once has he blushed, not even the slightest. So, what would you make of that?"

"Well," Amber begins, "although all of that sounds nice and all, it has many flaws. First, your 'real' feeling, is just so absurd. Second, the reason your couldn't make the onlookers disappear has to do with the fact you were manipulated into thinking it was real. Third, prom? As if every girl in the world hasn't thought about that? And blushing? You must have just seen him blush previously around the mall of something."

"Wow." Is all I can say.

"Wow what?" She asks.

"I was just thinking that if there was a professional 'Dream Crusher' job, you'd be the president of the corporation."

"Thank you, I like to think my skills might come in handy some day."

Then we talked about Starbucks drinks that would go to heaven or hell, and the shopping sale on dresses at Macy's. But in the end, we had to go back home. And although I love her like a sister, Amber sometimes is just such a bitch. Why do you need to go and spit all over my dream? It doesn't matter, she's probably right anyway. She always is, that's what I love and hate about her. I just hope I can have a good dream again.