Chapter Four: She Seems to What?

Dylan's POV:

It's the last week of summer, and I'm here sitting in the mall on one of these "boyfriend chairs" waiting for Jessica.

Jessica is one of my new girlfriends which I have dated for about two or three months now. This is usually when I decide to make the break, and today was just the day. I mean really, she's making me sit on some fake leather chair, while she shops around the store? Really? Me and Hazel call it the "boyfriend chair", because only guys sit in it while their girlfriends go shopping or something. And I guess it really is true.

Dammit, I can't stop thinking about that fucking dream. Why? It's not like I've had dreams about Hazel before. But it felt so, real. So real, she was blushing. So real, I could feel her skin linger on my fingers. So real, the onlookers didn't disappear. I just want that to happen again, I want to see her again. In a dream, in real life, either, maybe even both. But I won't see her soon if I don't cut the ties with Jessica, or at least leave the fucking mall.

I should be doing something fun. Like skating, or surfing, or even just hanging with the guys. I shouldn't be sitting in a fucking mall staring at walls sitting in a "boyfriend chair". What kind of end to summer is that? Especially your last summer of high school? I should just do it quick. I've done this a hundred times, it's just the same as any other girl.

"Hey," Jess says to me before I can get a word out.

"Uh, hey."

"I've been thinking," she starts, "we should break up."

"Really?" I ask in surprise.

"Yeah," she says, "I mean you obviously have this huge crush on Hazel."

"What?" I reply in shock. How did she know? I hope I'm not giving it away.

"Well, you guys hang out all the time. And she seems to like you too. I don't want to get in the way." She says with a sigh.

"Thanks, but-" I cut off. Did she just say "she seems to like you too"? What? Hazel Thompson, liking me?

"No it's fine," she admits, "really, its okay. Just go ask her out, then I'll be happy about it."

"Thanks," I say, "but what did you mean by 'she seems to like you too'?"

"Yeah," she says as if its obvious, "can't you tell that she likes you too? I mean, it's pretty obvious."

"Huh? Well I guess not really." I admit.

"What a shame," she sighs, "for a girl to like a guy like you, and for the guy not to even notice."

"Uh, yeah." I say, "Well bye then. Thank for understanding, kinda."

"Yeah," she says walking away, "bye."

I walk toward the little cafe across the street to recap on our conversation. She seems to like me? really? Never would I have guessed that Hazel Thompson would like me. Sure I like to dream about it, but I didn't think it would ever be true. Why would she like a cocky jerk like me anyway? I'm so confused. Does she like me or not? That's the question I want to ask her. But there's no way in hell I'd be able to do that, ever. I guess I could, but then that would involve telling her that I like her (too?). I need to talk this over with the guys tomorrow. But right now my mind is on the fact of if she does like me.

If she does, then everything will be perfect. Everything will just fall into place. Prom, dances, dating, everything. We'll be able to talk some more. Make random names for things we find in stores. Criticize different foods that we have never tasted before. Mock new sculptures in new museums. Everything. I can finally swoop her in my arms, and call her mine. I can finally claim those lips I have always longed for. Feel the warmth of her hand run up and down my arms. And I will always be able to see the adorable smile, that goes perfect with her bright blushing cheeks, right next to me.

I just can't wait for that day. Maybe in the beginning of school, maybe not. But for now, I'm just going to dream of that day, and how perfect it will be. I hope that dream comes tonight.