Chapter 1

Shaun trekked down the street in the drizzle to his apartment. The night was dark and ominous. If only buses would run with accordance to his schedule. He was hyper-aware of everything around him, shaky and afraid. He could hear footsteps coming closer to him. The person was walking in the opposite direction as him on the same side of the street. He didn't have enough time to cut across to the other side of the street when they stepped into view.

She was an average-looking woman wearing a beanie, sweater, and ripped black jeans. The unicorn on her sweater gave him the idea that she was more free-spirited than wicked. They made eye contact, and he immediately looked away. When his eyes snuck back to her face, she had a pleasant smile. "Why do you look so blue?" she asked with pursed lips and shining eyes.

"I am not blue; I am nervous. Dr. Glassman told me to get home quickly because it's late. The bus left three minutes before I got to the station. It would be 57 minutes before the next one. I am not a fast walker," he said quickly, walking briskly.

"Do you mean Aaron Glassman? I'm literally one of his nurses, or going to be," she said casually, turning and walking back the same way she came with him.

"Are you taking care of him?"

"I will in three more days. Not counting tomorrow or today if it's past midnight."

"It's one in the morning."

"Today then." She trailed beside him, avoiding every crack she came to in the sidewalk. "Anyways, what's your name?"

"My name is Dr. Shaun Murphy. I'm a surgical resident at St. Bonaventure Hosptial."

"Nice. Surgery seems cool but also gross to touch people's insides. I don't even like touching people's outsides sometimes. Plus, that's a lot of pressure."

"Surgery isn't for everyone or even most people. I'm not like most people," he said slowly, looking down.

"Really? I'm not either. I'm a walking irony; I hate people in general and want to help people. I hate my life but also life is pretty great at the same time. I'm conflicted and ironic, and it's more fun that way. Why be friends with someone normal and fake?"

"Do you have many friends?" he asked, still staring at his feet.

"Not a ton, some outgoing, nice people, past patients that I still keep in touch with, mentors, that type of friends. I've got a few friends that are like forever though. Oh, I never told you my name. I'm [y/n] [l/n]."

"Why are you following me?" he asked after a few seconds of silence.

"You know how much safer it is to be with someone?" she asked, looking up at him with her eyebrows knit.

"Do you feel safer with people? People make me feel unsafe."

"Most people make me feel unsafe, but you're a surgeon. We basically have the same boss now too. So you make me feel safer, yes. What really makes me feel safer is that I, as always, know how to kill someone with a scalpel."

"You should not be allowed to perform surgery," he said slowly.

"No, I should not, Shaun," she said with a smile. "Killing people in surgery is mildly discouraged," she said in a falsely serious voice.

"More than mildly."

"Yeah. The hospital probably wouldn't get many patients if people died in surgery a lot." She looked up at him, her eyes sparkling like the street lamps in the overcast sky.

"Why are you out here?"

"It's too nice to be inside. I like rain."

"You aren't from here, are you?"

"No, Midwest. How'd you know?"

"You like rain and sound ...different, like the people from Wyoming." His face twitched slightly; bad memories.

"I've been to Wyoming. It wasn't a nice time," she said slowly. "Anyway, do you like Aaron?"

"Mr. Glassman is a good boss and nice man. But he thinks he is my father. He is not my father."

"He probably just cares about you quite a bit. Plus, I've heard you're a great surgeon. He probably doesn't want to lose you. You seem like a good guy."

"You don't know me very well. You just saw me on the street and decided to talk to me."

She waved her hand dismissively. Her phone buzzed, and she pulled it out. "Ah. I guess it's time for me to go. Goodnight. Shaun Murphy."

"Goodnight, [y/n] [l/n] ."

"I have a feeling we'll see each other soon." She smiled and walked away in the opposite direction.