Chapter 3 Running On Empty

We continued on the lonely road south west. Making frequent stops for Nina and Rose. Finally time had taken it's tole on us and we became very sleepy as the sky darkened. I pulled slowly off the interstate, down the ramp, towards Sulivan, Missouri,and onto an older abandoned side road.

St. Louis had fallen to the dead in days, the town we were in was Kirkwood. Now it belonged to the dead as well. It seemed the herds were roaming the country searching for our last remaining groups. Maybe Springfield was doing better than we were, there was chatter a week or so back from groups around that area still doing well. Chases thoughts were interrupted by the clapping noise coming from the back seat.

Nina and Rose were playing patty cake in the back seat, Chase hopped out and scouted the nearby woods and small power company station. Everything seemed clear. "What are we gonna do to get some rest tonight?" He asked as I exited the SUV.

"Me and you will rotate guard, those girls are our responsibility now. If anyone comes around, we hide until they are proven friendly."

Chase nods and pulls out my machete and axe, "well I'll clean these if you deal with the setting the girls up."

"Deal." I say as he walks to a concrete block with a rag.

"Nina, Rose, come on out we can go for a walk if y'all want." They jump out wide grinned and laughing.

"Maybe we can find more survivors!" Rose said excitedly.

Chase tosses me my axe, I catch it and holster it. Rose grabs her machete, and we all head down the road leaving Chase to guard the SUV.

Nina and Rose skip down the road holding hands as we all come to a small trailer. I tell the girls to go back and tell Chase, but to stay together. They run back as I pull out my pistol and slowly approach the trailer.

Chase keeps the girls in the SUV, he grabbed my shotgun just in case.

Nina wiggled in her seat... "Chase can you please turn on the blower?"

Chase looks at her curiously then to Rose, "The A/C Chase, it's hot in here"

Chase quickly starts the engine as the cabin feels with cool air, the girls soak it in. He casually looks down at the gas meter. "Holy sh... Crud." The gas needle is almost on empty. He quickly rolls the windows down and turns off the engine. "Sorry girls.. Not much gas left"

"Awwwwwww..." Nina and Rose sigh at the same time.

"Sorry... We are running on empty" Chase looks around for me nervously.