Chapter 16 A Blur

The next several days passed in rapid succession through my closed eyes. I had woken up once while they were extracting the shard of metal from my chest... I don't know how they stopped the bleeding...

Several times I heard Nina's sweet voice. I wanted to open my eyes and hold her again. But I was a prisoner to my own body.

God only knows how many medical supplies they had used on me... I was grateful of coarse, it just made me think that I might actually have a chance now. A new start so to say. The thought crossed my mind, they may make me second in command or something... That is, if we won. If we didn't then I must be dead..

Around the time those thoughts interred my mind, I would hear someone's voice and I would strain to open my eyes.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Today was my fifth day to be in this bed... Today had to be the day. A-coma isn't where people see you as an empty shell, it's where you go mad within yourself.

"Daddy... I don't know if you can here me... But i really miss you.. Nina begins to cry into my hand. "God please give daddy back please..."

Her prayer was answered, I wish she would've added, 'and be fully recovered.'

I opened my eyes and slowly moved my pointer finger, I brush her cheek with it.

"Baby." My voice cracks from being so dry. But she heard me.

"Daddy... Your back! Oh thank you God!!" She stops and stands on her tip toes and gives me a kiss. "I'll be right back daddy."

She runs out and returns with two young ladies and a tall lanky man.

"We were so worried about you.." The younger Latina girl begins.

"How do you feel?" The man asks urgently.

'Water' I mouth.

Nina and the taller blonde lady run out of the room and quickly bring me a bottle. The blonde lady holds it to my lips as I take several long gulps.

"Cameron, things have finally quieted down around here. Since the invasion." The man begins again.

"C.. Cameron?" I look at him confused. "Who is that?"

Their expressions changed from relief to concern again.

"Cameron don't you remember us?" The Latina girl asks as she touched my hand.

Something about her touch...

I suddenly had a rush of memories, stabbing someone, an explosion, the metal in my chest, and...And a whip.

Slowly siting up in bed, I felt my back ache. "No... I don't.. I'm sorry." I slowly stand and stumble to the mirror. Gripping the cabinet I look in the mirror. But who I see in the reflection couldn't be me... I don't think it could be.

Moving my hand up, I touch around my left eye, it's black. I see the nasty scare on my chest. Looking at my arms, there were burns all over my forearms. Fearing the worst, I slowly turned and saw my back...

Fresh scars ran across it, my guardian angel had protected me... Her face still showed, in victory.

"The last thing I remember is an explosion..." Struggling to remember anything past that was effortless.

A man walked in with his shoulder in a sling. He looked at the others and started discussing something. I eased into a chair by my bed as Nina held my hand. "You remember me don't you daddy?" She looked desperate for me to remember.

"Yes baby, your name is Nina. But... Who are they?" I ask pointing at the people on the other side of the room.

She looks at me. And points out each one to me. "That's Rose. The lady is Jamie, the skinny man is John, and I don't know the other man."

The man was in a solid black uniform. He walked over to me. "Excuse me mam can you give me and your dad a minute alone?"

Nina blushes and nods, then she runs to Roses arms.

He looked down at me. "What's the last thing you remember Cameron?"

"The metal shard.." I point to the scar on my chest.

"Nothing else?" The man inquires.

I look at him puzzled... "No... It's just a blur..."