Chapter 10 Trade

We follow Private James to the pawn shop, he has that awesome military humvee with the .30 caliber machine gun on top. He parked in the lot, hopped out and went to unlock the door.

Rose and Nina unload our blankets and pillows, as me and Chase carefully help Jamie into the pawnshop. It was fairly lit, but knowing it had been cleared of zombies and supplies was both joyful and disheartening.

Gun fire erupted at the main gate and off to the left. James looks at us. "Either bandits or zombies, you are safe here. Trust me."

Nina looked comforted by those words.

We lay Jamie on some pillows and blankets. "Thank you guys, I promise I'll feel better by tomorrow." She says looking up at us.

Chase leans down and pulls a blanket over her, "You take as long as it takes, don't push yourself too hard."

We walk out to the SUV, I run to catch up to Private James as he is getting into the humvee.

"Private James. Will you ask Captain Bear, to drop by when he can. We will discuss the trade terms of the
fuel then." I state to the Private.

He nods. "Yessir, definitely. I can say he will be by soon, and don't be worried if people come by, they are friendly here."

With that said, he pulled back onto the road heading back for the gas station about a quarter mile away. Right now we were in the heart of a small town, I didn't see the name of it on the exit. It had 'safe zone' spray painted over it in giant red letters.

Chase was looking around as was I. There seemed to be more soldiers than survivors, but I knew there were a lot of both. Children played on a playground at an abandoned McDonalds. People were making sand bags and piling them on a truck, soldiers cleaned their weapons. Even though there were only eight or so buildings in this small town, it was enough. Bulldozers were moving car hulls to the barricade. We were surrounded by a three car high barricade and every 10-15 feet on the wall, there was a group of three soldiers sitting by a fire pit. A ladder ran up to the top car at every post. Overall, I was very impressed.

"Everything is unloaded boss, what are we gonna do about the barrels?" Chase asks as he walks by my side.

"They are tied down... Not much more we can do. Because I'm tired and I know you are, and we are not moving them tonight." Answering bluntly looking at him.

"But since they searched our vehicle and didn't just confiscate them, I think we can get food and some nice upgrades on our weapons." I state.

Chase nods. "But what if they want us to just hand them over? We can't just do that... Can we?"

I contemplate that thought for a long moment. Finally reaching a conclusion.

"We are gonna let them talk first, they let us in, so let's play it cool. Maybe they will give us a little more if we are nicer about it and don't demand supplies." I state as we turn to walk inside.

The girls had set our two coolers in the corner behind the counter, laid our weapons on the counter and ammo in a pile. They also laid out all of the blankets next to the wall where Jamie was laying.

Personally I liked the store, plenty of room, counter off to the left, now vacant except for our supplies. Our sleeping quarters were off to the left thanks to the girls. And the door and windows had bars on them.

Two military humvees pulled up by my SUV. "Oh boy... It's Bear. Chase, they are here for the trade."