Chaper 22 Waiting

It had been a week since the herd had showed up at the perimeter fence, once every two days a handful of people would go gather crops from the farm. Twice a day we filtered through the kitchen area to get a rationed meal of steamed veggies. It wasn't much, but it kept us from going hungry.

The rest was good for me, personally being in my bed sleeping most of the days had helped my aches and pains. It mainly bothered the children of the camp the most. They were used to running and yelling, now they had to follow the rules carefully. Scouts reported to me every night that the herd was slowly moving around the fence, but there were still thousands more coming towards us.

It was the eighth night in our waiting for the herds to pass, I was in bed like all the people not on guard duty.

I awoke to someone crawling under the covers with me. Assuming it was Nina in the dark, I gave her a small kiss.

"Oh Cameron..." It was Rose. I just froze, she knew I had feelings for her, but I didn't know how strong her feelings were for me.

"Rose are you ok?" She snuggles her body into mine.

"Please promise we will be ok..."

Her voice pleads for hope as she lays her head on my chest.

"I promise you will be safe, I'm gonna make sure you are safe."

I felt her body relax and her breathing lighten some.

"Cameron... I.. I really like you."

"Rose I like you to..." Then I whisper. "No I don't."

She sits up, I can tell she is looking at me.

"You don't like me...." Her voice sounds like she is about to break down into tears.

"No Rose I don't like you.. I love you." I lean up and kiss her small perfect lips.

Her arms slowly wrap around my neck as we kiss again and again. I lay her down as I deepen the kiss. She gets up slowly and moves her body so she is laying on top of me.

The warmth coming from her made me crave her even more. "Baby... We can't do this."

"Cameron why not..?" She pouts in a very innocent way.

"It's not right baby. We need to wait... It's the right thing to do."

"Ok... May I ask something Cameron? And you be honest with me?"

I rub her back lightly. "Yes baby, I promise I'll tell the truth."

She eases her body back down as she lays on mine. "Do you think I'm pretty at all."

"Rose your beautiful, everything about you is so perfect. And I love everything about you." I kiss her lips softly.

Her body shivers, whether from my kiss or the cold I didn't know. So I just pulled the covers over her as we lay there.

We hear Nina shuffle in her bed next to Jamie. She had moved back in at all of our requests, she was family now, but I doubt Chase would join our family again.

"May I sleep here?" Her voice was heavy.

"Yes baby, I love you."

She giggled. "I love you too."

In a minute she was fast asleep. I said a quick prayer, for safety over all of us. My thoughts went back to the girl I loved.. How innocent she was, and how we did need to wait. Even though we could die tomorrow, waiting was best for both of us. I fell asleep in the middle of thinking about Rose.