13: Birthday.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

We sang the happy birthday song for Lily whose face was split into a wide grin, showing her missing front teeth.

I ended up buying the blue medium sized doll house for Lily. Despite my constant denial and tugging of shirt, Jayden checked it out keeping me away from the box efficiently. Acting as a shield for the box. He asked me for the money which I had brought along with me to buy Lily gift and paid the remaining amount from his side.

When I told him, I'd pay him back, he glared at me. I huffed at his expression and clearly told him his plan wouldn't succeed if he had any to make me more indebted to him.

But he said, and I quote. "I know Levi. He's a friend so it's only fair I buy something for his sister too."

He didn't let me argue further as he dragged me towards the lift, carrying the box with any difficulty. But once we were out of the lift, something in him snapped and he dumped the box in my hands saying the master shouldn't do the manor work and the slave should.

The box wasn't heavy but carrying it for a long time could strain your arms but thankfully, the exit wasn't so far from the lift and we were in the confines of our car, the box at the backseat, strapped securely.

The cake was cut and distributed, gifts already handed over to the birthday girl.

Ten of Lily's friends, along with their parents or parent attended the party. The kids were bundled up in one corner opening the gifts.

The parents were at the other corner, a glass of wine on their hands as the ladies talked about the latest gossip and the men talked about the football game.

While we, Lenny, Levi, Landon, Heather (Lenny's cousin), Sandra and I were on the other side of the room, talking about school and stuff.

Levi was giving me a smug look from time to time, as if to say he knows something which no ones else knows. I glared at him when he threw me that look and mouthed I will kill you at him more than ten times, but he wasn't effected.

"Mum, look, Melo got me a doll house. It's so pretty!" We heard Lily's excited scream, followed by her tiny footsteps thudding towards her mother.

Mrs. White, Lexie smiled down at her daughter. "Then why don't you thank her, baby. Go on." She encouraged her and urged her towards me. Lily's wide excited eyes snapped on me before she rushed towards me.

I smiled at her reaction, relieved and happy she liked her gift.

"Thank you Melo." Lily grinned at me, her smile so wide and her eyes twinkling up at me. I patted her head mirroring her expression.

"You're welcome baby." I leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheeks.

Lily turned around when her friends called her name and gestured her to come back. "Go, play with your friends." I smiled at her and she nodded enthusiastically before trudging towards her friends.

Sandra had a curious brow raised at me. She leaned down, close to my ear and asked. "You paid Jayden off?"

The doll house wasn't exactly cheap and I was already in a bind regarding money with Jayden so seeing as I bought Lily a not-so-cheap gift, she must have thought I somehow got the money to buy Lily the gift and also had paid Jayden off.

I shook my head at her, making her look confused. "Later." I muttered. We were driving back home together anyway. I picked up Sandra from her house as we decided to drive here together instead of driving separately.

She nodded her head at me.

"-school, Melody?"

"Huh?" I snapped my head towards Landon who had asked me a question. He was standing at my direct line of view, staring at me curiously, a small smile tugging on his lips.