Chapter 11 - Belong

Word count: 1366.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thick tension filled the room. Taehyung's bitter stare bore straight through Jimin, who let go of your hand and looked at the floor. You stared with dismay at the timid boy who's warmth dissipated the moment Tahyung's eyes locked onto him. You took Jimin's hand back into yours, fingers together.

"No, stay," you interjected.

Taehyung scoffed and shook his head, poking his tongue at the inside of his cheek annoyedly. Jimin hadn't moved but let your fingers weave between his. Taehyung glanced around the room, trying to look anywhere but at where your hand and Jimin's were linked. He hissed through his teeth and looked at you at last.

"You're awake then."

"Yeah." The silence was uncomfortable. "They said it was heatstroke."

"That makes sense. You were really sweaty earlier, I could smell you," he probed, smiling cruelly. You scrunched your nose at him. Classic Taehyung. He sighed and put his hands in his jacket pockets and you could see the way he was pinching his own skin through the light fabric. He was irritated. "I'm glad you're okay."

Silence settled between the three of you like a choking blanket; uncomfortably heavy. Jimin wriggled his hand free of yours and picked up his satchel. He clung onto the strap of it as it slung over his shoulder, picking at the patches of broken leather, tiny bits falling to the floor like dust. He didn't say a word as he left.

You whirled on Taehyung and shoved him. "What did you do that for?"

Taehyung shrugged and tilted his head, looking at you, annoyance on his face. "I didn't like the way he was touching you."

"I nearly fell and he helped me up. He's just as much support as you are."

"I am your best friend. He's just an intern."

"He's not just an intern, he's my friend too."

Taehyung rolled his eyes and shook his head, pushing a hand through his hair. You had noticed it lately; the overprotectiveness bleeding out of Taehyung. When he had confronted Yoongi before and hugged you crushingly tight and now with Jimin, throwing him off you. It was endearing, in a way, but borderline controlling. You wanted to breach the topic but knew that the mere mention of his recent behaviour could set off a bomb.

"I'll discharge you now, if you want to go home."

Jin's voice startled you. You jumped and put a hand over your heart, sighing. He laughed and stepped over to you, nodding at Taehyung's presence, greeting him. He directed you to the bed and sat you down. He took your arm in his hand and then told you to be ready for a small prick of pain.

He pulled the needle out of your arm and immediately replaced it with a cotton pad. Drawing some scotch tape, he taped the cotton ball down onto your arm. Jin's eyes met yours and his princely features stunned you for a moment; his skin was like marble, immaculate without a blemish or wrinkle. His eyes were jet black and his plump lips were curled into a caring smile.

His fingers moved to your chin and he cupped it. Heat flared across your cheeks. "Are you feeling okay?"

"... yes," you breathed. Jin's smile, though it didn't falter, something changed where it felt more like a brazen smirk. He could probably feel the heat radiating from your glowing cheeks when he touched your face.