Chapter 27: The Stark Realization

Parker said the night he first took me here that he thought God hated him. He didn't tell me why. I think I know why now. God must hate me too. We tend to get caught a lot.

There is a very long, and very uncomfortable, silence as they stare at us from the table. Parker and I have given each other some distance. We are now standing about a foot apart. Both of our faces are cherry red. I don't know if anyone knows what to say.

"I thought you two weren't interested in each other." Marissa speaks first.

"That's ridiculous," Noah says. "You could cut the tension between them with a spoon. It's so obvious."

The entire table looks at Noah. 

"What?" he asks. "Are you going to tell me I'm not that observant?"

"I've been getting weird vibes from you at lunch," Izzie says. "I didn't think it was because you two kiss now."

Del holds up her fist. "I knew you two were up to something. You've been far too happy this last week or so."

Lily shrugs. "I don't see what the big deal is here. They kissed. Big whoop. Why is that such a big deal for everyone?"

They all turn their attention to Lily now.

Oh, no. There's about to be a riot. I can see it in everyone's eyes as they gather their reasons as to why who is I kiss is the most important news since the invention of sliced bread.

"I'm going to start this," Del begins.

Dear God.

Del clears her throat. "You know Parker. After all, your brother was his best friend for years. You also know that he hasn't been happy in years. But you don't know Jackie quite as well. If you knew both of them, you would know that them kissing is literally like watching your ship on a soap opera get together."

Izzie smiles. "It's true. The whole 'will they? won't they?' thing is a huge deal for our grade. They've been the talk of the junior class since Halloween."

"Hold up," Noah says. "You were friends with the sleazeball, no offense Lily, who came into our apartment with an actual book of his sexual conquests?"

Lily holds her hands up. "None taken. My brother is sleazy."

Parker rolls his eyes. "I thought this was public knowledge. Yes, we were friends. We're obviously not friends now."

I cough. "Why aren't you saying anything, Drew?"

Andrew has been quiet since this conversation started. I wonder what's making the little hamster in the wheel run in his mind right now. Andrew is wide-eyed. "I'm just trying to process this information. It's a lot to get in a minute in a half. I'm also excited because I get to the big brother thing again."

"You mean like when you had to do it with Jonah?" Parker asks.

"Who the hell is Jonah?" Izzie asks.

"Old friend," I answer.

"Jonah?" Noah answers. "Jonah, as in the gay artist, Jonah?"

Parker's jaw drops slightly. "He was gay!?"

I put my hand over my face to hide my embarrassment. "Did I not mention that?"

Parker laughs humorlessly. "Nope."

I go to sit at my seat at the table.

"I could hang with this Jonah fellow," Del says.

I sigh and bring my left knee to my chin to rest it there. My life is literally being talked about like it's a TV show.