Set It Up

MJ and Peter haven't confessed their feelings to each other but they have told it to their other trustworthy best friend, Ned. He decided to set them up for what they think is a blind date, but really they're eating dinner together. He tells Peter that he set him up with someone and he said the same to MJ. He set their dinner together in his uncle's fancy restaurant. Peter wasn't confident going into this blind date though, so he asked Ned to be his guy in the chair once more. Ned, of course, agreed. He even asked his uncle to connect the CCTV cameras of the restaurant to his laptop so he can see if the two are okay from the comfort of Peter's living room. He had a pair of headphones with a mic connected to his laptop. Aunt May was out running errands so she asked Ned to guard the house. 

      Michelle arrived to the restaurant first and was guided to the reserved table. A few minutes later, Peter arrived and Ned told him to ask for the reserved table to the hostess. He followed her and once he sees Michelle on the table, he quietly asks Ned on the earpiece, "Dude, you set me up with Michelle?! I told you not to! She might hate me!"

  "Relax, dude. It'll go really well. Just calm down and be yourself." Ned's response made Peter breathe heavily but continued on walking.

  "Here's your table, sir." said the hostess to Peter. Michelle looked up at him and was jaw-dropped. All that filled her head was how handsome he looked. He was amazed at MJ as well, she rarely wore dresses on a daily basis, or let her hair down. It was a whole different side he saw from her.

  "Uhh.. Hi." Peter nervously said to MJ as he sat down. He wiped his sweaty palms on his pants.

  "Hey." She gave a shy smile.

  "Here are the menus. Mr. Leeds said order whatever you want. It's on the house." said the hostess as she handed them the menus, and then walked away.

  "My uncle paid for everything. I already said thanks. He told me to tell y'all 'It was nothing.'" said Ned through Peter's earpiece, making him grin. MJ looked at all the prices of the foods first and she was so thankful that the whole dinner was free. A few moments later, a waiter approached them.

  "What are your orders, ma'am and sir?" He asked, pulling out a notepad.

  "What are you gonna have Michelle?" asked Peter.

  "Uhh.. I'll have... hmmm," It took her a while to decide what she really wanted. She was very indecisive when it came to expensive but free foods. In the end, they both ordered the same thing.

  "I'm just gonna go powder my nose real quick. Be right back." She said, standing up from the table and brisk walked towards the women's restroom. Peter took this as a chance to talk to Ned.

  "Dude, this is going terribly. I'm backing out. I wanna go, dude. I don't feel so good." He complained.

  "Peter, you're not even halfway through the freaking date! Just give it a chance, bro. It's gonna be fine, trust me."

  "Okay. If you say so."

  "I'm making your dream come true here, Peter!"

  "Okay fine, I'll give this a chance."

Meanwhile, MJ was in the restroom leaning on the table with the sinks and looked at herself at the mirror and have herself a pep talk. She retouched some of her makeup before she went outside again and went to their table.

  "Okay, I'm back." She said.

  "Can I uhh.. ask you something?" Peter nervously said.

  "Yeah. Anything."

  "Did Ned force you to do this?"

  "Dude, I did not force anybody!" said Ned, but Peter ignored him.

  "Did he force you?" MJ asked back.

  "No.. Not really."

  "Well he didn't force me either."

  "Fair enough." A few seconds later, Ned told Peter to talk about something they both had in common to break the awkward silence. Peter looked at Michelle's necklace and noticed that the pendant was a silver Deathly Hallows symbol.

  "I didn't know you were a Harry Potter fan too." said Peter, making MJ touch the pendant.

  "You're a potterhead too?" She said, her face lightened up a little and so did Peter's. While they waited for their food, they talked about Harry Potter. They talked about their Hogwarts houses, their Ilvermorny Houses, their Patronus and so on. They continued talking about it while they were eating too and Peter completely forgot that he even had an earpiece on. Ned grinned at himself and muted the conversation. He stopped looking at the CCTV camera screens as well and played on Peter's PS4.

      After the dinner, Peter asked MJ if she wants to go over to his house and hang out. She agreed. Since Ned muted the conversation, he didn't know they were coming over. Both of them were shocked when they saw him there. Peter didn't think Ned would stay there, he thought he was informed because he thought he was still overhearing their conversation.

  "Ned? What are you doing here?" MJ asked.

  "Uhh... Playing." He said, holding up the controller. His headphones wasn't connected to the PS4 though, MJ noticed. She looked at Peter's ear and saw a black earpiece.

  "All of this was staged?!" She asked furiously.

  "No, no all of it was real!" Peter said. "I just.. I needed someone to--"

  "To tell you what you're supposed to say?! Is this a prank?!"

  "MJ, none of this is a prank. All of it is real." said Ned.

  "He didn't tell me what to say at all! Believe me! Everything I said was all from me."

  "MJ, he's right. I muted myself the whole time." Ned said. But still, MJ cried and walked out of Peter's house. Peter cursed at himself and told Ned to stay. Peter followed Michelle outside and explained. Ned looked out the window.

  "MJ, please let me explain!" He said, holding her wrist gently. Unexpected rain started to pour.

  "Explain what?! How the two of you set this whole date up? Peter, I really thought all of it was real. The way you and I bonded, I thought it was so genuine."

  "And it was! Everything we talked about wasn't scripted by anyone!"

  "I thought you... I thought..."

  "You thought... what?"

  "I thought you actually liked me for me."

  "And I do." He held her hand.

  "Oh really? Then why would you even ask Ned to be your guy in the chair?!"

  "Because...."

  "Because what?!"

  "I was just nervous, okay? I'm not good at dates.."

  "That is not an acceptable explana--" Before MJ finished her sentence, Peter pulls her in for a kiss. She kissed back. She didn't want to pull away.

  "Was that a good enough explanation?" He asked after he pulled away.

  "Most definitely." She pulled him in again and kissed under the heavy pouring rain.