Chapter 7

DATE
November 9th, 2038
TIME
11:17:04
LOCATION
Elijah Kamski's Mansion

*3rd Person POV*

Hank and Connor had this brilliant plan to go straight to the man himself and ask questions. Dahlia, who was M.I.A since yesterday, didn't answer her phone, so it was just the duo.

"Fucking hell. Why isn't she responding?" Hank mumbled as Connor stepped out of the car and walked over to him. "Is everything okay, Lieutenant?" He asked as Hank shook his head no. 

"No. Dahlia hasn't answered her phone all yesterday, and now she isn't responding today..." He put his phone up and sighed, who started walking to the door with Connor behind him. "Great. I just got my daughter back and I feel like I'm about to lose her again" He vented to the android behind him.

"I have a bad feeling about all of this. We shouldn't have come here" Connor expressed his concern, which was rare for him. "Bad feeling? Me too, son...me too" Hank said as he rang the doorbell.

Someone opened the door. It was Chole. "Hi. Uh...I'm Lieutenant Anderson, Detroit Police Department. We're here to see Mr. Elijah Kamski" He said as she moved aside. "Please, come in" She said as they walked in and looked around.

"I'll let Elijah know you're here, but please make yourself comfortable" She said and walked off as Connor Hank sat down, pulling out his phone and kept attrmpting to reach his daughter, but had no response from her. 

"You're about to meet your maker, Connor. How does it feel?" He asked. "I...don't know...it'll be interested, to say the least" Connor said. "I wish I could meet my maker. I'd have a few things to say to him" Hank said, looking around and finally putting his phone up.

"Elijah will see you now" Chole said as they stood up and walked over to the pool area.

"I feel like Dahlia would like this room alot..." Connor said and looked around the room. "She would, wouldn't she?" Hank mumbled. There was a red pool and a HUGE window. Elijah was swimming around, then got out a few minutes after Hank called out to him, put his robe on, then looked at us.

"I'm Lieutenant Anderson, and this is Connor" Hank introduced the duo as Elijah looked around. "Doesn't...someone else works with you? They seem to be missing in action" He said as Hank raised an eyebrow. "She couldn't be here with us today" Connor explained.

"How unfortunate. What can I do for you, Lieutenant?" He asked. "Sir, we're investigating Deviants. I know you left Cyberlife years ago, but I was hoping you'd be able to tell us something we don't know..." He explained.

"Deviants. Fascinating, aren't they? Perfect beings with infinite intelligence, now they have free will" He paused. "They're so superior to us that confrontation was inevitable...humanity's greatest achievement threatens to be its  downfall...ironic, isn't it?" He asked.

"We need to understand how androids become Deviants. Do you know anything that could help us?" Connor asked as Hank grew impatient. "All ideas are viruses that spreads like epidemics...is the desire to be free a contagious disease?" He asked.

"I didn't come for the philosophy. The machines you created could be planning a revolution" Hank said as Elijah ignored him.

"What about you, Connor, whose side are you on?" He asked.

"None. I'm on nobody's side" He said as he scoffed. "That's what you're programmed to say, but...what do you really want?" He asked, trying to get the truth out of him. "I believe we are the ones asking the question here" He said aggressively.

"Hm...Chole?" He called out to her as she walked over to him.

"I'm sure you're familiar with the Turning Test, mere formality, a simple question of algorithms and computing capacity" He paused, then continues. "What interest me is whether or not machines are capable of empathy. I call it the Kamski Test, it's very simple you see" He paused and looked at Chole.

"Magnificent, isn't it? One of the first intelligent models created by Cyberlife, which your daughter has one of these models. Young and beautiful forever...a flower that'll never wither..." He paused, then continued.

"But what is it really? A piece of plastic imitating a human..." He paused and went to his drawer and grabbed a gun. "Or a living being...with a soul?" He made Chole kneel on the ground and handed the gun to Connor. "It's up to you to answer that question, Connor" He made him aim the gun at Chole.

"Destroy this machine and I'll tell you everything I know...or spare it...if you feel that it's alive...but you'll walk away without knowing anything..." He explained as Hank has enough.

"Okay, I think we're done here. Let's go, Connor. Sorry to get you outta your pool" He started walking as he spoke.

"What's more important to you, Connor? Your mission or the life of this android? Decide who you are. An obident machine...or a living being...yearning for free will"

"That's enough! Connor, we're leaving"

"Pull the trigger"

"Connor! Don't!"

"And I'll tell you all you wanna know"

Connor handed the gun back to Elijah. "You see this machine as a living being...our last hope of saving humanity is itself, a deviant..." He said as Connor shook his head. "I-I'm not a Deviant..." He said as Elijah raised an eyebrow.

"You saw this machine as a living being. You said you'd do anything for your mission" He said as he gotten Chole up and she walked off.

"In my opinion, you should've asked the Deviant Protector these things...haven't you thought about who she was?" He asked as Hank walked closer to Connor. "It's an Android living up to the role of rA9" Connor said as Elijah shook his head, making Hank realize something.

"Wait. How do you know we worked with someone else?" He asked as Connor looked at Hank. "Oh, that person used to work at Cyberlife...but..." He said, then continued.

"To answer your question, Connor, no...she's a human who worked with Cyberlife before quitting. That's all I'll say..." Elijah said as both gentlemen walked away.

"By the way, I leave emergency exits in the programs...you'll never know when you'll need it" Elijah said as they walked out into the cold snow.

"Who would be the Deviant Protector...?" Hank mumbled in disbelief as Connor's LED light blinked red, then back to blue.

"No idea...but it doesn't make Dahlia look good right now..." Connor said, sighing.

"I'm glad you didn't shoot that girl" Hank said as Connor nodded and looked away. "But, why'd you say that it doesn't make Dahlia look good right now?" He asked as Connor looked back at him.

"When was the last time we saw her?" He asked as Hank scratched his head. "Um...2-3 days ago. Why?" He said, then raised his eyebrow.

"You don't think she's the Deviant Protector, do you?" He asked as Connor shrugged. "Either way, we have to find her and ask her questions" He suggested as Hank nodded, then they both got back in the car and drove off.