Chapter 10

Lisa's Second Round of Experiments

Seulgi was staring at Lisa as she prepped everything for their second run of experiments with her lab staff.

She was feeling both guilty and confused.

Because it felt too real.

And she wasn't sure if the dream she had last night was this world's Seulgi's memory of how she met Irene, or if it was her own imagination's doing.

In the end, the dancer settled for telling Lisa after she figured out a way to confirm everything.

Maybe a quick to Korea the next day?

It was day twenty.

Almost a month of having her reality, her world, frozen in time.

Almost a month of being stuck in the world she's been in since the shooting star incident.

And Seulgi was desperate for any real sign of progress.

"You okay there, Seul?" Lisa asked.

"Just a little nervous. But that's totally normal," Seulgi answered truthfully.

"Okay, you know the drill from last time. Just a quick update, since your stress levels with the evil clown picture is way too high for my liking we've changed the image for your lifeline."

"What is it now?"

"Killer clown."

"In what universe is killer clown better than evil clown?" Seulgi complained.

Sure evil clown was scary.

And killer clown only had crosshair eyes.

But the unsettling smile on his face, and that slightly tipped hat...

...there was something calm about him...

...when there shouldn't be...

...that gave Seulgi an even deeper trauma from just thinking about it.

"In this universe." Lisa answered with a straight face, breaking Seulgi's reverie.

Seulgi looked at Lisa unamused, "Attempts at humor now I see." She deadpanned.

"Well, someone has to. Anyways, killer clown still does the trick with less irrational fear coming with the package so we're sticking with killer clown."

Seulgi grumbled, cursing under her breath before they got started.

[•••]

The first time Seulgi woke up, she was in some small apartment filled with computers.

She had an ankle monitor.

So house arrest, huh?

Apparently, in this reality she was a genius level hacker.

And Irene was her FBI handler.

To earn her freedom, she had to work with the suits and track down the world's greatest criminals with her mastery of the cyber world.

It was fun in the beginning.

The tension between her and Irene were quite enjoyable.

Except Seulgi could feel in her gut that it was going nowhere.