Death

Assalam Alaikum Warahmatulah Wabarakatuh

SUNNAH RELATING TO DEATH AND BURIAL

O Allah (The Exalted) bless our lord and master Muhammad (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) as much as pleases You.

Death is such a thing that every soul will taste. We should make ourselves comfortable with the fact that we will die one day and not be scared. One of the reason's that people don't like to learn about death is that we are drowned in the love of the world and are too busy in chasing it. However, that day will come when we will have to taste death, hence we should begin to make preparations for it.

Martyr in Islam

'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) asked the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) "Is there a person who (without martyrdom) will attain the status of a Martyr'. The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) replied that, "The person who remembers death twenty times in the day (attains this status)."

Remember death!

The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) was once going past a group of people who were laughing loudly, the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said that, "O people! Talk about those things in your gathering which remove desires', they asked, 'What is this?' The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, 'That is death!" (Kimiyai Sa'adat)

When we get together we talk about those things that does not concern us, we end up backbiting, swearing and things that will take us to hell fire. Let us leave these types of talk and remember death which is our final destination.

Live like a stranger

Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) stated that the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) held me by my shoulders and said, "Live in this world like a stranger or a traveller."

Do not think we will live forever, we run after the world as if we will. We prepare for our retirement, buy buildings, cars etc. whilst we do not know if we will live the next hour!

Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) always said that, "When it is night do not wait for the morning and when it is morning do not wait for the night and when in good health and during life make preparations for death (meaning good deeds)." (Bukhari)

Hard heart

A woman came to 'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) and said that, "My heart is hard what can I do to make it soft?" 'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) replied, "Remember death on a regular basis and your heart will become soft." The woman practised this deed and her heart no doubt became soft. The woman then thanked 'A'isha (may Allah be pleased with her).

Talk about Qiyamah & Death

'Umar bin Abdul-Aziz (may Allah be pleased with him) had a habit, where every night he held a gathering of the scholars and talked about Qiyamah and death. All the people would cry in such a way as if there had been a death. Hasan Basri (may Allah be pleased with him) in his gathering talked about death, the Hell fire, and the Hereafter.

Do not ask for death

Do not ask for death as this is forbidden. If you must ask for it then say, 'O Allah (The Exalted) keep me alive until life is good for me and give me death when that is better for me'. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Breaking unpleasant news

If you must give the undesirable news of a tragic accident, or death of a close relative or a dear friend, break the news in a way that decreases its impact and makes it as mild and gentle as possible. For example, in the case of a death, you may say, "Recently, I learned that Mrs. Ahmad has been very sick. Unfortunately her condition has worsened lately. Today, I learned she has passed away. May the mercy of Allah (The Exalted) be with her."