Flying Blind

It had been 14 days and 17 hours since Sidney had asked Mollie to marry him, and in that time their world had totally flipped on its axis.

The Penguins had gone into Tampa Bay ready for a battle but they hadn't been expecting to go the full seven game series against the Lightning.

However, they had and 13 days later the Penguins came out victorious and were heading for the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 2009.

Since that night in Sid's kitchen the newly engaged couple had kept their change in relationship status fairly hush-hush. That fateful night the duo made only four phone calls.

The first was to Mollie's parents.

Although Sidney had asked Elliott's permission to marry his daughter years ago the man was admittedly afraid that the doctor had revoked his blessing by now. So as the line rang Sidney's stomach tightened and twisted, there would always be something about Elliott Holden that made him nervous.

When the older man's voice came through on the other end of the line Sid was thankful that Mollie jumped in right away.

"Hi, daddy." she smiled to herself as she spoke, she only ever called her father "daddy" when she was extremely happy, or she wanted something.

"Hi sweetheart, how's my girl?" Mollie glanced down at her left hand catching the light dancing off the new diamond on her ring finger, "Couldn't be better, is mom around by chance?"

"She's in the kitchen, is something wrong?" Mollie could hear the concern in his voice and the shuffle of the phone as he wandered through the Holden household towards the kitchen.

To no one in particular Mollie shook her head, "No, no. I just have something I'd like to share with you both. It's good news, I promise."

There was a sharp inhale and then Renee's voice filled the room, "Hello dear, you're on speakerphone now."

Sidney rubbed at his patchy playoff beard knowing that it was time to face the music, "So are you, say Hi to Sidney."

"Sidney, hi honey, how're you feeling about next week?" Renee asked.

The man leaned closer to the iPhone perched on the kitchen island, "Hey Renee, I feel good, we're excited to be back in the Finals."

"Good, good. We can't wait to watch, I haven't been to California in ages." Mrs. Holden spoke with her husband quickly adding, "Son, you've got a good team this year I feel a Cup coming on."

Sidney smiled, "I sure hope so."

Always a cut to the chase type of man Elliott then questioned them both, "So, what is it you two have to tell us?"

Mollie looked at Sidney whose eyes were wide and had his cheek pulled between his teeth, "Well, dad, I believe you've known about this for quite a while now."

In the Holden house just a few miles from Sidney and Mollie stood Dr. Elliott Holden's mouth hung agape. Could it be? Had the boy finally done it? Was his only daughter an engaged woman? Playing along Elliot asked, "And what would that be my girl?"

Reaching over Mollie placed her hand in Sidney's and gave it a squeeze, "Mom, Dad, Sidney and I are getting married."

The squeal that escaped Renee Holden's mouth was ear-piercing, and it was clear to both Mollie and Sid that Elliott had never shared his little secret with his wife. "Oh my goodness! That's incredible, congrats you two!!" Renee was blubbering, then she was appalled at the secrecy, swatting at her husband's shoulder, "Elliott how long have you known?"