The Escape

Talila led her companion through the winding inner workings of the castle.
They passed by other exits and spy holes, but eventually reached a door that lead past the gates and the bridge, into the forest.
She opened it slowly, letting her eyes adjust to the different light, then cautiously stepped out with the other woman close behind.
'Dovris, we're out,' Talila called out.
Not a minute later, she heard the soft sound of wingbeats approaching. She smiled and motioned for the other woman to follow her.
The two met up with the dragon at the edge of a river that cut through the woods.
   "Ma'am," Talila said, turning towards the woman she'd helped escape, "This is my coworker, only teammate, and oldest friend, Dovris."
   The woman gave a small curtsy, and the great dragon bowed his head in return.
   "A great pleasure to meet you, sir," she said, a small smile gracing her face.
   "And you as well, madam. Now if you both don't mind, we should be leaving before anyone misses you," Dovris rumbled.
The two women climbed onto his back and held on, preparing for him to take flight.
   They were in the air before Talila could blink, soaring just above the trees, and try as she might, she couldn't stop the wild grin from spreading across her face.