1

Three years ago

"Kevin, why are we here?" Kate asks her fiancee as thy enter the sleazy hotel.

"A surprise, babe. Come on," Kevin answers. Kate isn't comfortable right now, something is wrong. She's never felt like this around Kevin before, but she's more than a little scared of him. She can smell the alcohol on his breath, but what really hurts her is the perfume she also smells and the lipstick smears she sees on his neck.

She's been dating Kevin for over a year and last month he asked her to marry him. It was about that same time that something changed in him. Instead of being happy with her and wanting to spend time he's short tempered and never has time for her any more. She fears that he no longer wants her and is cheating on her.

That's why, although she doesn't like the looks of this place she follows him inside.

After going in the room that Kevin opens for her she wants to throw up. Why in the world would Kevin want to come here? Normally they go to a five star hotel if he wants to take her to a hotel.

"Kevin, what's going on?" Kate asks nervously.

"Shut up, bitch!" Kevin responds, shocking Kate speechless. He's never talked to her like that before. "I am so sick of your questions."

Kate is beginning to see. She loves Kevin so much, but he doesn't love her like she thought he did. This is all part of a merger between Kevin's mafia and her brother's gang. Well the gang her brother is second in command of.

Kevin never loved her.

The realization breaks her heart and makes her sick.

"I'm not a bitch. I've done everything I could to make you happy. I've put your wants ahead of my needs and never once have I complained.

"But I won't tolerate this disrespect to myself. I won't tolerate you cheating on me." Slowly and sadly Kate removes the ring from her finger. She sets it on the nightstand table. 

"I'll see myself out. Goodbye, Kevin." Kate says, but before she can open the door she feels something painful hit her back and her hair pulled painfully.

"Did I say you could leave, bitch?" Kevin says pulling her back to him by her hair. His words hard to understand due to the alcohol he'd consumed and talking through his teeth.

"You obviously don't want me, Kevin, so just let me leave and I'll never bother you again."

"You'll leave only when I'm ready to let you go. You owe me and I mean to collect."

His words are menacing and dark. Fear races along her spine. He can't possibly mean what she thinks he means can he?

A slap hard across her face brings her back. She's only upright due to him holding to her hair so tightly. She feels blood from where his ring cut her face.

"I'm going to have some fun before you will be allowed to leave, Kate." Kevin says even as he slams his fist into her ribs.

For the next hour Kevin beats her and hurts her before he finally takes her.

Once he falls asleep Kate picks herself up. She dresses herself the best she can with the knife wound in her shoulder and her clothes torn. She staggers from the hotel and along the street until she comes to a more occupied street. 

Her energy spent, she falls down exhausted. As the darkness overcomes her she hopes that she never wakes again.

Kevin wakes up several hours later with a hangover and few memories of what happened the night before.