4

Dustin and Angela hug Kate goodbye, all of them with tears in their eyes. "Come with me, I'll protect you and Jesse," Dustin pleads.

Kate hands Dustin an envelope, "Give this to him when he's old enough to understand. Make sure he knows that I love him and that everything I'm doing is for him."

"What do you want me to tell him about his father?" Dustin asks angrily. When he found out that Kevin had been the one to attack and rape his sister he was furious. He wanted to go after the ones that killed Kevin because it meant that he couldn't.

Kate had found out that she was pregnant with Jesse only at the hospital after the attack on Kevin.

Had she known about it before she would have likely killed Kevin herself.

Kate shakes her head no, "I won't have you or the others put at risk because of me. But neither will I allow Jesse to be caught in the crossfire."

"We'll make sure that he understands that you loved him more than life, Kate." Angela says with tears in her own eyes.

Dustin gives her a hug that nearly crushes her ribs, "I love you, sis."

"I know, that's why I'm trusting you with Jesse. I'm going to miss you so much." Kate says tears in her own eyes.

"What are you going to do, Kate?" Angela says wiping the tears off her face.

"That will depend largely on Mr. Shapiro. Either I'll be forced to go with him or I'll disappear." Kate isn't sure what is going to happen to her. "Go now, he has already called someone. I don't know how long I'll still have." Kate gives one last hug and kiss to her son and pushes her brother away. The three reluctantly leave Kate. They look back multiple times before the darkness swallows them.

Kate watches them long after the night has taken them from her sight.

She falls down onto the step and stares into the night.

She feels the cold metal of a gun barrel sliding across her face. The only reaction she gives is an involuntary stiffening of her back. She immediately forces herself to relax.

Aaron is immediately behind her, far too close for her comfort. She does her best to not let the panic set in, but she knows that she's failed when she starts having trouble breathing.

"Either shoot me or back up." Kate manages to get out. The words are breathy and strained but understandable.

To her shock Aaron steps back. Immediately Kate is able to start breathing normally once more and sucks in large breaths of air.

"What the hell just happened?" Aaron is confused. She wasn't upset or frightened of the gun he's sure of that. She sure as hell wasn't frightened of death or she wouldn't have told him to go ahead and shoot.

"Your old boss made it so I can't stand to be close to men I don't trust. There are only a small handful of them that I trust." All of them in her brother's gang. All of them terrified of Dustin and no little bit her.

"How the hell do you or did you know Kevin?" Aaron is getting frustrated. This woman has answers to questions he's had for years.

"That bastard was engaged to me and then damn near killed and raped me. That's how I knew him." Kate turns and stares with hatred at Aaron.

"You are his girlfriend..." Aaron had looked for years for her.

"Was, until he damn near killed me. He was here trying to get me to forgive him when he was killed by those men I showed you. He died in my arms and I kept waiting for the bullets to hit and kill me as well. I was rather upset to find myself still alive after all was said and done. But not nearly as upset as my brother was when he found out what Kevin had done to me. It was just as well that Kevin was already dead. I didn't need my brother to die as well."