5

The pain in her head makes it so she doesn't want to open her eyes, but it's the beeping of the machine that makes her do so. She looks around trying to remember just how the hell she came to be in some strange room.

She starts to feel the panic build as she doesn't remember. The beeping starts getting faster and soon an alarm goes off. A door opens and more than one person enters the room. When the light is flipped on she closes her eyes in pain and reflexively turns her face away from it.

"Doctor?" a deep voice asks the other person that entered the room.

"She's awake, likely just terrified that she doesn't know where she's at." There is definitely a rebuke in the doctor's tone.

"I didn't have time to tell her before she passed out." The first voice responded defensively.

She hears someone moving to the other side of the bed and she takes a chance and opens her eyes. "Miss Kerrington? My name is doctor Davison. Can you tell me the last thing you remember?"

"I got up and got dressed after that bastard beat and raped me. Where am I?" Kate asks starting to panic once again at the look the doctor gives to whoever else is in the room.

"Miss Kerrington," the doctor starts to speak but the other man breaks in.

"Miss Kerrington, that was three years ago. Kevin is dead, also three years ago." At the strangers words Kate turns her head quickly. Tears of pain and more hit her as she looks at the stranger on the other side of her bed.

"Who are you and where's my brother?" Kate demands. Then she sees the fire bird tattoo and she shrinks back from the man. Her memories are too fresh, Kevin hurting her. This man is part of Kevin's mafia.

The doctor observing her reaction and her starting to panic urges Aaron to leave, "Mr. Shapiro, you should leave."

"You're brother can't be reached." The doctor tells Kate, but Kate looks at the doctor and knows that he's lying.

"You didn't even try, did you?" Kate feels the tight band across her chest start to squeeze and fights to get a breath. Why are they doing this to her? She didn't do anything to them. She didn't even tell the police about the attack. 

Lassitude takes over and she's finally able to breathe. As she goes under the darkness enfolds her. Maybe this time she won't wake up. The thought comforts her. She never thought Kevin would hurt her like he did.

"Stop, Kevin, please?" Kate is begging as he punches her over and over again in the ribs and stomach.

She hears the sound of ripping as he takes her clothes off her.

"Kevin, please, don't do this?"

She feels the burning pain as he stabs her shoulder when she won't stop pleading with him.

She blacks out as she hears him undo his belt buckle.

"You're going to like this bitch." Kevin says forcing her legs apart.

She doesn't remember what happened after that, she wakes up sore and bleeding and knows that he raped her. She can't stop the tears as she realizes the man that she loved hated her so much that he could do that to her.

She looks over and finds him asleep, snoring and naked. Her blood dried on his body.

She tries not to cry as she finds her clothes and manages to dress enough that she could leave. She does her best to not make any sound. The last thing she wants is for him to wake up and do this to her all over again.

She walks out of the hotel room and closes the door silently. She has to take a moment to lean against the wall due to dizziness. She takes a deep breathe and makes her way out of the now silent hotel.

Once out on the street she lets the tears she's been holding back fall.

She makes her way to the street and then another. Finally she finds one with people on it and then she collapses.

She doesn't remember anything after that.

"What the hell happened, doc?" Aaron demands watching the sleeping woman once more.

"The hit on the head or something that happened tonight must have triggered a traumatic event. She mentioned something about the old boss."

"Kevin was her boyfriend."

"She's the girlfriend he wouldn't let anybody know about?" The doctor says amused.

Aaron isn't nearly so amused. "Yeah, shortly before he was killed he beat and raped her. Damn near killed her. He was trying to get her forgiveness when he was killed. He died in her arms."

"She's the unknown witness?" Now the doctor isn't amused.

"Yeah, and what a witness she is too. She didn't know names but she knew faces. It was his lieutenants. The five he trusted most."

"No, he trusted you the most." The doctor interrupts him.

Aaron nods to accept the compliment. 

The doctor stays silent for a bit. "That's why we are at an undisclosed safe house?"

"Yes, they tried to kill me tonight. I would have been dead had Miss Kerrington not stumbled upon me and helped me."

"So in gratitude you, what? Abuse her some more and kidnap her?" The doctor has heard and seen a lot in his time with the mafia, but he's never heard of them being so ungrateful to help before.

"I brought her with me to protect her." Aaron defends himself.

"Then how the hell did she get the wound on her head?"

"She had a panic attack when Joshua got behind her. Before I could tell him to back up she fell unconscious and hit her head on the car door." Aaron doesn't like defending himself or his actions this night. Reviewing them he really hadn't treated Kate right. Not even after she showed him the medical report.

"Will the amnesia be permanent?" Aaron demands.

"I don't know, not likely though. You seem to make her go into a panic so when you visit please try to keep your distance. Her heart has had a lot of strain lately, it's not good for it."

"I promise doctor, I won't do anything to harm her. I'll keep my distance." The last thing he needs is to have her brother look for him to kill him.

"Shouldn't you call her brother?"

"Not unless I absolutely have too," Aaron gives a bitter laugh, "I want to live to at least kill those that killed Kevin and betrayed me."

The doctor looks at Aaron but hides his shock, "Who is her brother?"

"Dustin Kerrington," Aaron says and walks away from the astounded doctor.

"Heaven have mercy on us all." The doctor says and crosses himself.